Handling Pike????????

Babar

There are quite a few piking lakes where i live like, Ryhill reservoir and a place near coking plant and they grow to over 30lb and i fancy having ago at catching some however as well as being rather scared of grabbing tem i dont know how?????

And what is the best methods to catch them????? :confused:

go with someone who is experienced in both capture and release ,although pike have got a "macho" look about them they are one of our more sensitive fish and should be treated with extreme care , deep hooking is a problem with the beginner in striking too late and then the real problem is with unhooking :( our club has a pike teach in unless you can demonstrate you can handle the pike properly and demonstrate ( in theory) you can unhook it properly both through the mouth and gills then you pass and a stamp is put in your permit book ,without that you cannot fish for pike.Make sure you have the neccesary tackle and more importantly an unhooking mat and equiptment too unhook it.

find a partner to show you the ropes its best :)

[ 10. March 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

quote:

our club has a pike teach in unless you can demonstrate you can handle the pike properly and demonstrate ( in theory) you can unhook it properly both through the mouth and gills then you pass and a stamp is put in your permit book ,without that you cannot fish for pi

jeeez, we can't even get ours to close the gates, pick up litter etc . . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

some laws have got to be made for the welfare of extremly expensive fish (in replacement terms) more contaversial is this years introduction of a mandatory unhooking mat NO MATTER what fish your fishing for , as a bailiff it causes the most tension from our "customers" i give a verbal warning first just incase they havent read the book but if they do it again its for real and they stand (depending how much they grovel) between a written warning and confiscation of their permit :mad: and yes ours leave litter and cannot lock gates either although they phisically have to lock the lock to remove their key :confused:

perhaps there should be a mandatory "litter in the bin " and "lock the gate" teach in but in this case it will be forgotten in minutes :(:)

[ 10. March 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Chesters, I live about 5 mins from you (Aldershot) and am torn between FAS and RMC for next years season (member of Farnborough Anglng Club at the moment). I assume from your post regarding the Pike teach in that you are a member of FAS. One minute, I'm going for RMC, the next I think FAS is best. I would appreciate your input on FAS's waters. On the one hand, all of the waters are local and have a good selection of species to a good weight. On the other, so do RMC, and a 4 rod permit is available. Please help, cos we're about 2 weeks away from renewal day and if I don't sort it out soon, I'll end up with neither!!!!!!

BABAR - as regards handling, don't pussy them around. If you're in 2 minds, don't go, cos chances are if you don't know what you're doing, you'll do more harm than good. Go with someone with experience who'll teach you how to rig up, when to strike and how to unhook and handle them. If you're going to go anyway, put the pike on its back on an unhooking mat and slide your hand under its gill covers and gently pull its mouth open. Then, you should be able to unhook the fish from there. But I would STRONGLY advise to go with an experienced pike fisherman for a good few sessions because you'll see first hand how they handle them.

[ 10. March 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Steve Sullivan ]

Oddly,

Pike in the US are also extremly vlunerable to handling. One of the rare things we have in common with the UK I guess.

Pike do not replace the protective slime as quickly as most fish among other things.

Do not learn from an American instructor.

Phone

hi steve i leave it up to you i`m in FAS because since moving to aldershot and farnham i`v always fished FAS waters at just over a pound a week (excluding £20 joining fee) you cant grumble on the price (well i might ) cats at 40lb+ carp to 39lb if your after the big ones the only drawback is even the biggest waters are small and are EXTREMLY popular with bivvie space at a premium :D pop into the creel and get the adverts but in the end its your choice :)

Babar

Being relatively new to piking i was also concerned about handling and unhooking pike. Indeed i was shaking the first time i did it! One of the best places for info and advice is the pike anglers club of great britain. There web site is excellent. http://www.pacgb.com

Always use a mat and hold them firmly, particularly if they decide to thrash around for a bit!

Let us know how you get on.

Matt Shaw