Your finest Hour

stickfloatking

The good old Tank Aerial...My Grandad used to tell me about using those....Still don't believe him but he spun a good yarn.

Paul

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tinca61:

The good old Tank Aerial...My Grandad used to tell me about using those....Still don't believe him but he spun a good yarn.

As a float rod, using all three sections, they were pretty useless, too damn floppy and heavy. The top two sections made a passable ledger rod though. The top two sections, with a foot lopped off either end, made a pretty good pike lure rod. The top section, with half the second section, made a pretty useful light spinning rod. The top section, put into a Milbro Baitcaster trigger grip handle, made a pretty good baitcasting rod. That is by the standards of a ten year old angling fanatic who didn't know, or have finance for better. They certainly made better rods than the horrific solid glass rods that were just coming onto the market at that time, darn sight cheeper too. At that time one weeks pocket money bought one aerial, the second week's bought the fittings! So Tinca, perhaps that coincides with the yarns that your Grandad told you. Many a young angler, born pre 1950, cut their teeth on a tank aerial. Not to be mocked Tinca! They were the legendary days of Mr Crabtree. We devoured his writings, a tank aerial was a route to the riverbank.

Peter

when was about 15 i went on holidays with my u john and a marie, to Oulton Broads, we had a lovely bungalo, the back garden sliped into the broad, we came for the bream, wonderfull place, going shoping in the boat, goigng to the pub in the boat, woderfull tme

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

Peter,

quote:

Tinca, perhaps that coincides with the yarns that your Grandad told you. Many a young angler, born pre 1950, cut their teeth on a tank aerial. Not to be mocked Tinca! They were the legendary days of Mr Crabtree. We devoured his writings, a tank aerial was a route to the riverbank.

I'm not mocking the Tank Aerial, I'm well aware that they were used extensively. I mocked my Grandad and if you had had the chance to listen to him you would have too. He'd have you believe that you could fashion a decent fly rod out of one too and put a dry Greenwells on a sixpence with it.... But he was a proper fisherman in spirit though.

Paul

Sixpence you say, thats nothing, us oldtimers used to put the fly on a drawingpin, and the old tank aerial I took off of Rommels tank made a cracking Double Handed Salmon Fly rod....rabbit.....rabbit......rabbit......

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Gray, what was your aunt & uncle's surname? I've lived here all my life, might know 'em. My bungalow grew as the family grew, and is now a house! Being able to row over to the boozer does have certain advantages. The downside is the rates, £28.00 per week just to live in my own house :mad: The bream still have their patrol route along the end of the gardens, and the pike like the bream

Tinca, no, I can't believe anyone could have made an aerial fly rod for less than a WF12.

Den, Rommel's tank carried a finely tuned selection of 8 AFTM rated aerials, just in case he bumped into any good fishing in North Africa. I expect that you know that he was a legendary dry fly man. Had you managed to grab all eight aerials, in their desert pink matching bags, then you would have been able to retire very comfortably on the proceeds.

Pete ive fished oulton broad to, had family in Overstrand until they moved back here last year.

Fished Gimmingham lakes few times but can't say as i liked it much to many people there.

Fish quite bit of the broads as Grandparents had a boat so used to go out on that.

schofield was there name, there bungalo was oposite a pub and about 200 yards to the right from a group of shops with a filling station for the boats, i cant remember fort the life of me what the village was called, but it will come to me.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

Gray-Catchpole:

schofield was there name, there bungalo was oposite a pub and about 200 yards to the right from a group of shops with a filling station for the boats, i cant remember fort the life of me what the village was called, but it will come to me.

The pub was called the Commodore, nearby is the Wherry Hotel. The village is called Oulton Broad!! The Scofields have long gone, nice folk.