Small lures

Newt

On a limber rod and light line, these tiny lures can be great fun. You may need a controller float to be able to cast any distance (at least I do) but crush the barb so you don't mind a crack off and have some great sport.

I noted the prices in US $ and right now the exchange rate is about £0.52 per $1.

The eye on this one is often covered with paint and you have to remove it. A hook point does a quick job of that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even smaller is this little jewel

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are lots more similar ones available if you do a quick internet search but I have used and caught with both of these.

I like a plastic 'skirt' with the top one. Something like these at around $5 per 100.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROF. Bunch of Luddites. I can just hear the thought process.

"Hmmmm. Little, tiny, small lures. Never used any. Never seen anybody use any. If they wuz any good, we'd be using them. Ipso facto, that there Yank fella is trying to have some fun with us but we is too smart fur him. Everybody knows that big fish like big lures and little fish don't like them at all. And what's more, I can't see myself fishing with a lure that costs 4 to the Quid. I'd be too embarassed even if they did happen to catch a fish, which they wouldn't because nobody uses them and if they were any good we would be using them."

Note to P. Waller - me braces may lack glamour but they keeps me trousers up and all things considered, that is a real boon to anyone close enough to see me. After all, Crack is dangerous. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nearest Ive ever got close to using ultra "ultra light" lures like this is flys and 2" rubber "Mr Twister" worms for perch.Used these when fishing the small tributary of the Saone that flowed behind my caravan when living in France.It was great fun,so much so that I nearly brought a rod specially for it.I used a light fly rod (8'AFTM 5) but with a small fixed spool.

If they were used more I suppose we would all be suprised at what we could catch on them.After all look at the coarse fish that can be taken on fly or are caught accidently on small live or dead baits intended for eels.

At the present in the UK the nearest we see to this is anglers using "ultra light" lures and outfits for the likes of chub but compared to the lures you show they are quite heavy still.

Newt, ever used the Northland "Whistler" jig head from Cabelas? found these good for our Perch.

Peter I think the US's version of Ann Summers is Victorias Secrets.Mmuch the same but without the vast amount of strange vibrating lure blanks..................or so Ive been told :o

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie - I'd never noticed the Whistler jigs before but they do look interesting.

Ludites, humphhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Surprised Argyle hasn't come in on this one. He, like me, is quite a fan of small U/L type lures. Both of us use U/L size rods, lures and reels but we use braids for strength rather than mono's of next to no strenghth. Over in the UK we call it 'Finness' fishing. The IGFA style and ethics of U/L is greatly frowned upon in the UK.

[ 13. January 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Roadrunners are great perch lures. I bought a load many years ago. In fact so many years ago that the hooks on most of them have now rusted right through! Serves me right for notting putting any silica gel in that lure box.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I use the Northland Whistlers too. Just the right amount of weight and the prop turns as they sink, which is when I seem to get most hits with them. The lighter weights work dead slow and as long as you dont bunch the grub too far up the hook, the prop is very reliable and they'll be thrashing the water to a foam about dusk today. A medium size lobworm on one of these things, although not cricket, is deadly on days when they're not up for lures.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• 3 years later...

I was once told a small mepps is good for perch, but I suppose you would get pike as well so have to use wire.

If you were targeting perch only could you use something like a Gulp worm as a lure?

These are worms made from some vegetable protein you can mount on a hook - you can get "earthworm" variety I think.

I suppose even then you would still have to use wire in case of pike.