Catfish help

Zinky

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AberdeenAngus:

Hand grenade in the water would appear more subtle and probably just as effective   :D

He was simply describing suitable gear for the intended quarry.

I don't have access to cats the size of those but smaller ones will certainly destroy gear that is too light. I recently threw away the last "rear clutch" fixed spool reel I owned after having a catfish of some unknown size destroy it. Burned up the clutch in short order. I had bought a couple of the things to try since the clutch-adjustment placement at the rear of the reel is convenient. But not very sturdy as I found out.

And BTW - the reel I threw out was not the one a fish destroyed. I simply didn't trust that design any longer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dragonbat,

I have been reading the information and your questions. The info about Wels being more active during the warmer months is correct. They are also more active at NIGHT or Early in the morning hours. The fact that your fish is in a small confine would denote that it will be a Wide fish and not a Long fish. The gear that was advised is appropriate for the water that is to be fished. We have them caught here on Carp gear, but the fight is long. They are powerful fish and it is not health for the fish to fight for this long period. The anglers here are using a tactic that requires prebaiting with cut bait. I have seen the results, but have not seen them caught. I am inclined to think that some LIVE BAIT is used, but that is not LEGAL. The fact that you are able to use a live fish for bait will increase your catch possibility of a take. Try if it is your preferance now with the baiting info given before. I for one would like to know if you are able to catch it. Good Luck and let us all know. :)

HOPPY

Hoppy4 - is that in Germany that lives are not allowed for cat?

If not, why not?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I fished a similar sized pond this year for cats and they have reached 20lb.

As there was a head of carp I used squid on a size 1 T6 using a 5" hair and a 2ft hooklength. Even then a 15lb mirror managed to get itself hooked fairly !

Great fun but night fishing is really the best time for them.

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !