Playing fish on the pole

Sportsman

I had a good session today with several low doubles but I did get beaten up 3 times. On each occasion as soon as I hooked the fish it just steamed off straight away from me, so the pole would have been pointing straight at it. I tried to get some sort of side strain on but the elastic bottomed out and "ping"

Is there a technique for dealing with this type of take?

I have never really been in a position where I have fished for "lumps" on the pole so any advice welcomed from you pole experts.

Cheers

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I had a good session today with several low doubles but I did get beaten up 3 times. On each occasion as soon as I hooked the fish it just steamed off straight away from me, so the pole would have been pointing straight at it. I tried to get some sort of side strain on but the elastic bottomed out and "ping"

I have never really been in a position where I have fished for "lumps" on the pole so any advice welcomed from you pole experts.

Cheers

Dave, why not use a rod and reel ? :)

Cheers

When you know your likely to be hooking a few doubles you need to make sure your elastic and line is beefy enough , your in at least 18 to 20 elastic and 0.18 to 0.20mm line territory

As far as technque goes if they are steaming off all you can do is hold the pole steady and dont try to put any side strain on , just let the fish do what it has to do without forcing it to fight back even more and if your still attached after the initial run then just keep everything slow and smooth to avoid spooking the fish into further charges .

when you can get the side strain on make sure you keep the pole very low up untill you are ready to net , and when you feel the strain drop this is the time to lift high into the fish and see if its ready to pop up and net first time , if its not ready then just repeat holding low again until you get another chance to lift and net . :)

hope this makes sense and helps

A few years now since I fished for lumps with a pole, but a few questions..

Does your pole bend/flex much? My carp poles flex like a rod.

Are you playing them on a long pole? I found that the longer the better.

I would always "get the pole up" as soon as possible, this gave me extra scope to absorb the rushes, and tended to pull the fish upwards.

I had quite a few up to 18+, mostly in the dark :)

By the way, I always fished barbless "just in case"

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I wasn't really fishing for or expecting larger fish so I only had 2 top kits with me, one with 8 elastic and one with 10.

I will be going back with something sturdier ;) my Maver Ascension with black hydro on pulla bungs

The pole I was using was an old DAM Futron. A great pole in its day but its day was some time ago. Great for the roach I expected to catch but I was wary of giving the carp too much stick.

When the carp co-operated I landed them OK, just needed patience but when they went straight away from me I ran out of elastic and ideas very quickly.

The problem is I would like to concentrate on the roach as I had some very nice ones and suspect that there are better and don't want to fish too heavy, so if a largish carp picks up the single maggot / caster I suppose I just have to accept the inevitable :D .

Either way it's nice to have a facility like this on your doorstep after having to drive over 60 miles in Scotland to get anything similar.

Tigger, after losing the third fish I changed over to a waggler set up on rod and reel. Bites dropped to fewer than half and no more big fish. For 90% of the fish I was catching the pole was just more efffective.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Tigger, after losing the third fish I changed over to a waggler set up on rod and reel. Bites dropped to fewer than half and no more big fish. For 90% of the fish I was catching the pole was just more efffective.

I wonder if the bites would have dropped off anyway after the disturbance ? I suppose you may have needed to alter your waggler setup ...line, hook etc to see if the bites started again. Can you tell I'm no fan of poles ;)

What's the bottom like ? Maybe fishing bottom would produce bites or even surface fishing ?

I have this problem of trying to catch big roach out of carp lakes, I found that how I fed and were I was fishing had a massive effect. I found in the lake that I fished depositing a large amount of bait ] using a bit dropper on the pole line and waiting for the roach to move on to the feed was more effective rather than feeding little and often which seems to attract more carp in to the swim and push the roach out. I found that fishing outside the carp patrol routes and drawing the roach on to different lines. I was fishing about 6 meters from the bank away from the shelf and at 12 meters in open water. Are you allowed to lose feed in the lake you are fishing most of the French lakes that I have fished were you are allowed to take fish for the pot ban lose feeding of any sort.

Guest bbamboo

I have noticed this also I dont fish the pole but the lads on my local pond can catch far more better quality fish than the guy using rod and line.

When there is a match on these days no one fishes the rod and line any more its all pole fishing

Edited by bbamboo