white breadcrumbs as a groundbait

mdhome

Does anyone know how effective plain white breadcrumbs are as a groundbait? Is there anything that I can add to it that will attract fish. The reason for asking is that I find that paying £3 for a bag a bit pricey, especially as recently they havn't improved my catch rate at all.

Regards Michael

£3 a bag - strewth What's wrong with getting a couple of stale loafs and doing it yourself? And yes - it's a great attractant for chub on my local river...

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

There's nowt much wrong with a 19 pence Asda loaf freshly whizzed up in the wife's liquidiser (minus the crusts for white crumb)

Then you can add food colouring and flavourings whatever you like or mix it with particles (hemp, casters) or even add it to your shop bought powdered 'crumb'.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

You can buy 25 Kilogram bags of either brown or white breadcrumb for about £10.

AFinalAnimation.gif

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy, where can I buy at that price. Sounds like a bargain.

Also, has anyone tried additives such as strawberry and vanilla?

I am going to fish Furzton in MK this weekend and hope that I dont blank as painfully as I did last weekend.

Regards Michael

I prefer bags of brown crumb.

I have had good results using Boosted molassus brown crumb by Dynamite baits.

I think you will find most anglers use brown crumb instead of white.

White is used for fishing bread punch or making continental or brown crumb into a lighter colour.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I use white crumb mainly on rivers as it tends to be heavier. On stillwaters I use mainly brown or red crumb, the latter usually being brown crumb dyed red.

This I mix with sausage rusk, the proportions depending on how quickly I want the groundbait to break up. 50/50 is a typical starting point.

A further advantage of sausage rusk is that if you put some dry rusk inside an outer ball of groundbait it'll take a while for the rusk to absorb water. When it does so it explodes and some of the rusk starts to float upwards. You can also add some dry rusk to your feeder mix for a similar effect.

Most shops can supply big sacks of white, brown and red crumb. Indeed some of them buy these themselves and repack them for extra profit. However if you're using a lot it's well worth buying in bulk yourself. If your shop hasn't got a supplier they could try Dynamite Baits at http://www.dynamite-baits.co.uk/beta/products.php

Sausage rusk I get in 25kg sacks from my local butcher as I've seldom seen it in tackle shops, and then only in small expensive packets.

To this basic mix I may then add hookbait samples and often hemp as well. I almost always also add a flavour and am a huge fan of Archie Braddock's products. Go to http://www.braddocksbaits.co.uk

[ 27. March 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi. Steve is dead right about adding sausage rusk. In my case I mix crumb 50/50 with a commercial groundbait (Sensa's 'Secret' is my favourite), mix this base with water and then add some dry rusk.

Make your base mix nice and crumbly and you won't need to add much rusk. This is good because rusk rising to the surface attracts ducks.

Yours, Pete

I try to use groundbait which is a similar shade to the bottom where I'm fishing, so generally its brown crumb, but red or a red/brown mix for tench and bream (the theory being it looks like a bed of bloodworm I think).

The general theory seems to be that fish don't like feeding over a light patch as predators can spot them more easily, although it doesn't seem to bother carp, but they're just greedy buggers!

Use white crumb as a "cloudbait", to colour up clear water and when feeding up in the water, so a light mix that breaks up quickly on the way through the water works well.

[ 28. March 2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Wag ]

Where's the 'ANY' key?

Another very useful side effect of white crumb is that it is quite sticky and can be used to stiffen up the groundbait. This can be useful to slow down the rate at which it breaks up.

I often add some to half my groundbait mix, and then halve that amount and add some more.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic