Telescopic Rods

Bilko

Good Morning :)

I was thinking about buying one for Spinning/Lures. What's the verdict on Telescopic Rods? Is there anything I should watch out for when buying one?

One other Question. Are they any good for other types of fishing?

TIA

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too sure on the latest tele rods, because it was many years ago when I was a youngster that I last used one, but the Shimano Exage rods are well worth a look if your after something portable. Aparently they are very good. They pack into to a hardened rod tube, that comes with it, which is only a couple of feet long. They come in fairly long overall lengths too. I was thinking of getting one for my summer holidays

:cool:

Paul

Jersey Mullet Fishin'

Guest Ferret1959

I all ways use tele rods for spinning and had no probs.

9 ft ones suit me best.

Take your time with them though.

The best I have had on was 15lb and was getting a little worried about breaking the rod.

I bought a cheapy telexcopic rod to take spain several years ago, for waggy fishing off the rocks. It was a shakespear - less than 20 quid. On my return I used it for much more fishing and for one season had it tucked away behind the seat of the company pool car :D with reel and small roll up of floats and hooks.

Used it then for roach, perch and even chub and babel fishing with hokks lenghts upto 4lb, bends quite good and has plenty of backbone. . they have come on a lot since the post war - - ariel types :)

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Telescopics are greatly underated in the UK. I have a Shimano jobby and a Shakespeare model. Both excellent quality. Cork handle on the Shimano and a black foam one on the Shakespeare. Other than that, and the usual Shakespeare tasteless graphics, they seem remarkably similar! If I'd realised how similar they were I wouldn't have 'upgraded' to the Shimano!!

I've got a shakespeare telescopic, I've had jacks to 6lb on it, carp to 15lb and tarpon to 3lb. It must be something about people from Bradford, but I also had one in the boot, the only failure is that lack of delicacy when waggler fishing, other than that, I can't recommend them enough.

I'm sure that there's a group of fishing bykers who only use telescopic rods for all their fishing.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Tim Kelly:

Have a look at 2 and 3 piece rods, they pack up pretty small and are amazingly good rods, especially at the price!

I've just had a look at the ones you mentioned (and which you have reviewed for the supplier!) and they're more than double the price of my Shakepeare telescopic, and although I haven't tried those particular ones, I very must doubt that they're worth twice what I paid, in terms of performance.

Nope, I stil reckon a Shakespeare tele taking some beating on all counts including price.

Richard