Bugbear And Other Viruses (Viri?)

Elton

Okay, this isn't the forum for it, but I'm downloading hundreds of these every day and getting emails from people who think they've got it from me, or other anglers they know.

If you've received this virus in an email, please consider the following:

"It then uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to all email addresses that it finds. The worm also can construct addresses for the "From:" field using information that it harvests from the infected computer. For example, the worm may find the addresses a@a.com, b@b.com and c@c.com. The worm could create an email message addressed to a@a.com and spoof the "From:" address, so that it appears to come from c@b.com. The spoofed address can also be a valid email address that the worm finds on the system."

This is taken from:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...bugbear@mm.html

There is a tool for removing the bug at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...moval.tool.html

So, if you think someone you know sent you the virus, think again...

A. If they had sent you it, it wouldn't have been on purpose, and

B. If it looks like it came from them, chances are that it didn't!

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Beware of e-mailes with the subject "greets".

Best to download the removal file that elton as posted the link to as a precaution.

Its always best to be prepared.

I got the thing and it did all sorts to my pc until i removed it with the removal tool.

If you are running 98 or 95 then you need to boot into safe mode before you run the file or it wont work.

And of course update you virus definitions.

whoops! sorry Elton I should have looked at the threads before I posted. I could have added mine onto here.

If I deleted it without opening it does that get rid of it??

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Lyn - sometimes, sorta, maybe.

The newer versions of Klez and Bugbear are showing up embedded in HTML format email (the kind folks add music and such into) so there is no attachment showing.

Open or even preview one of those and you are infected.

But any good Antivirus program with current def files will see it and deal with it even when you might not.

And the same with some web sites. You can get infected with just a visit.

So my strong suggestion is a good AV program and keep it current. I have used Norton for years and have never been infected. But it isn't free.

AVG has a free AV program you can download. I have never used it but reports from others who have are very favorable.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

im getting loads from everyone, at least we all know its not a personal attack, it goes on all the time, and has done for ages, funny thing, on a local music site, mainly used by people under the age of 20 seem to think that these emails and viruses are sent purposly, no matter how many times i tell them, around 45% of posts at the moment are people screaming at one another.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

One thing worth reiterating:

DO NOT USE THE PREVIEW OR AUTOPREVIEW OPTIONS IN OUTLOOK

This is where it shows you the first couple of lines of all unread e-mails or displays the mail automatically without double-clicking it first.

Having either of these switched on is often enough to trigger the virus to run.

You can toggle them on and off in each mail directory using the View/Autopreview or View/Preview Pane menu options.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

The other thing to bear in mind is that as part of its payload, every 30 secs it tries to deactivate your anti-virus and firewall software (see your software supplier's site for specific details)

It's a mass mailing worm that grabs files from your HDD, uses addresses from your Address Book, selects one of a huge range of Subjects... and mails them out! :mad: :mad: