Ide

John Ellison

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Ellison:

Phil, Santa brought me a book two years ago entitled Freshwater Fish by Malcolm Greenhalgh and illustrated by Stuart Carter. The natural history of over 160 native european species.

It was first published in 1999 by Mitchell Beazley, an imprint of OctopusPublishing Group Ltd.

2-4 Heron Quays, London E14 4JP.

It's as comprehensive as most anglers will need for identification and the coloured drawings are as accurate to form as any that I've seen.

It cost 19.99 and I got on to it from a reveiw in the Angling Times. It does not come of the shelf much, but when it does it tells you all.

John wouldn’t argue with you on any book that Michell Beazley’s had a hand in mate! I have several Natural History books by him or co-written by him. Excellent writer, always well illustrated as well. Another writer well worth looking out for is Paul Sterry. Both write on the fringe of academic writing but unlike many academic textbooks are infinitely more interesting.

BTW anybody who is interested in other Natural History books can’t go wrong with the Collins Field Guides for identification and succinct descriptions. They are very reasonably priced as well, around £12.

And here’s the rub many Undergrad/Postgrads students, Docs. Professors and others use them in the field for quick id purposes.

phil h.

I still say they are two typical chub. The mouths are too big and the scales are too robust. I don't know how to put a photo on here, but follow this link for a good pic.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/M...arssies/ide.htm

or another:

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/SpFactSheet...p?speciesID=557

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Sharpe:

I have to say that the "ide" in the photo look exactly like bog standard chub to me, and not like any ide I have seen.

Have to agree with that - orfe (ide) have MANY more scales than chub. For example, whereas chub have about 43 to 46 scales along the lateral line, orfe have around 56 to 61.

A count of the scales of the lower fish in the picture shows about 44, give or take a couple. Certainly a long way short of 56 !

[ 06. January 2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Umm certainly do look very chubby!!!

Surprised no one has mentioned http://www.fishbase.org as a reference site. You can read the page on Ide here

Though the piccie is identical to one of the links already posted...

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Orfe%202-10.jpg

Here is a piccy of a 2lb-odd ide or orfe of the golden variety. Note the large number of scales compared with a chub - also the shape is subtly different.

...and no, I did NOT use the hat to land the fish - I use the hat to shade my maggot-box from the sun

[ 06. January 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

quote:

Originally posted by Vagabond:

...and no, I did NOT use the hat to land the fish - I use the hat to shade my maggot-box from the sun [/QB]

Hey, I thought that you were talking about fishing for ide in the UK, and you need to shade your maggots from the sun??

Anyway if you are fishing for ides seriously there is even less likelihood of the sun being a problem because March is by far and away the best time to fish for them. In fact it was always so good, my my mates and I always used to say, "Let's go and fish for the Ides of March."

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

chevin:

I thought that you were talking about fishing for ide in the UK, and you need to shade your maggots from the sun??

my mates and I always used to say, "Let's go and fish for the Ides of March."

Look at the shadows in the pic - the sun was indeed shining :):):)

Fishing the Ides of March eh ? Hmmmm - that's March 15th - is that still a hanging offence ?

Contrary to what they taught you at school, when the soothsayer said "Beware the Ides of March" he was not foretelling Caesar's assassination, but warning that the coarse fishing season was about to come to an end. :P:P:P

RNLI Governor

phil hackett:

I'd bet that Bruno secretly has a copy on his shelves at home that he uses for quick reference.

Nope... but close. My most thumbed reference book of this type is:

'Freshwater Fishes' by Peter S Maitland and R. Niall Campbell. 1992. ISBN 0 00 219380 9 (paperback); ISBN 0 00 219383 (hardback).

It's part of the Harper Collins 'New Naturalist' series and covers 368 pages, all very readable and very informative.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Guest Ferret1959

Ide pics that Peter couldn't show.

IDE.gif

Ide.jpg

The Ide in my pond look more orange in the body and almost black on top just to confuse things.

Oh and I think they are chub in the above post, I've caught enough on my bit of river to reconise one.