Restoring an old friend

BoldBear

I have an old B.James & Son Richard Walker MKIV split cane Carp rod which used to catch me many a Barbel on the Kennet when I first caught the Barbel bug back in the 70s.

It would be great to get it out after all these years; when I'm feeling a bit nostalgic; and catch a few Barbel with it now and then.

However; the varnish has started flaking off and only half of the rod label remains.

My question is: does anyone know where I can get the rod restored to its original condition including the flaking rod label?

NB. It has spent the last thirty years on the wall not being used.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have an old B.James & Son Richard Walker MKIV split cane Carp rod which used to catch me many a Barbel on the Kennet when I first caught the Barbel bug back in the 70s.

It would be great to get it out after all these years; when I'm feeling a bit nostalgic; and catch a few Barbel with it now and then.

However; the varnish has started flaking off and only half of the rod label remains.

My question is: does anyone know where I can get the rod restored to its original condition including the flaking rod label?

NB. It has spent the last thirty years on the wall not being used.

Edward Barders don't restore rods (unless it's their own) but a guy I spoke to there reckoned Paul Cook was your best bet.

http://www.artofangling.net/index.html

You might need deep pockets

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Edward Barders don't restore rods (unless it's their own) but a guy I spoke to there reckoned Paul Cook was your best bet.

http://www.artofangling.net/index.html

You might need deep pockets

Thanks Rusty,

I will give them a call for an estimate.

I was expectng it to be around £150 to £200 max so I may have to put it back on the wall for another few years.

or maybe try to restore it myself.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

these do rod restoration of cane rods

http://www.rodcraftsman.com/contact.php

http://finecanerods.com/Contact-details

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Coincidence! I have just had a work break due to a knee replacement and decided to use the enforced rest to restore my old cane MK IV Avon rod. I found the people at Hopkins & Holloway superbly helpful in suggesting rings, whipping silks, sealants, varnish etc etc. The rod is all done now and looks superb. Rather than pay to have the rod restored have a bash yourself. If I can do it anyone can!!

What ever you do don't damage the label /decal any more than it is

Good luck

Di! Ecce hora. Uxor mea me necabit.

Hi!

I read your post about the mending of rods. I don't know whereabouts you are, but Angling Times has been running advertisements for an on-the-road national sales and surgery event, and if you could get to one of them maybe someone there could point you in the right direction to get your rod mended..............since I am only a newby this is the only help I can give, I'm afraid, but I am happy to point you towards Angler's Net's loop to Angling Times in the certain knowledge that through this site you can get the appropriate advice.

Happy Rods!

The eyes and whippings are fine its just the flaking varnish that I wanted replacing, and if possible I also wanted to replace the flaked rod label/transfer (half of it has now gone anyway) but I am unsure whether even in this day and age I could get the label/transfer replaced.

As a last resort I can have a go at it myself (I used to make some of my own rods back in the 70s) but I would rather get the rod restored properly.

Thanks for your help everyone, I will investigate the links you gave further.

Edited by BoldBear

brilliant idea and its got me thinking.

Ive got a Zebco (from back when they made decent gear!) fluro-carbon that was my first rod and the rod that i learnt to fish with, problem is the top section is broken just above the joint. Could this be repaired, ive kept it for sentimental value more than anything but would love to fish with it again.

Edited by SpecimenSean

gone