Maggots Catch Fish

Cart Man

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They breathe through one end and eat with the other - but I agree, it's all a bit academic. I'd rather think I'm hooking them through the arse than the head, though! :D

They breathe through one end and eat with the other - but I agree, it's all a bit academic. I'd rather think I'm hooking them through the arse than the head, though! :D

When using more than one on the hook I like to hook them at altenate ends, seems to cause a lot less twist in the hooklength on the retirieve

Mat

Mat

Guest Wilko 09

Hehe, Yes mate, me too!

Cart Man/Newt do anglers do much bait fishing over there? i.e worms, grubs etc as I found it interesting that maggots are not used very often. Or are lures the main thing?

Oh sure there is a lot of live bait fishing here. In California where I live it is not legal to fish with minnows unless you catch them yourself in the same lake you're fishing. Otherwise, nightcrawlers, redworms, mealworms, waxworms, and redworms are very popular. I grow my own redworms, waxworms, and of course, maggots.

we used to "grow" our own!

got some superb maggots from the process as i recall...mother finally put an end to it with the end of the back garden being a no-go zone for a few months of the year with the smell! LOL!

you never can quite get the smell out of any equipment you use! hehehehe

trying to think back as to how we did it...

if i recall it was a simple biscuit tin with a wire mesh raised an inch or two off the bottom. let the carcass of whatever your using get fly blown; put it in the tin, (cant recall how we closed it off..must have had the lid punctured with holes etc) and leave it to work.

the beauty of the mesh is that the maggots will fall through to the bottom of the tin leaving them fairly easy to remove after pulling the carcass remains out. also means less work removing bits of dead animal from amongst your maggots.

I like that. I was looking for some way to keep the maggots off the smelly stuff. I will have to get me some wire mesh. I just grow a few at a time in a plastic bowl because even that smells pretty bad. I saw a video about a guy growing them for his chickens using five gallon buckets. I would do that if I didn't live in city close to my neighbors. For now I have to settle for me small scale operation or break down and buy some online.