FUR & FEATHER

Janet

My fishing club held its annual Fur and Feather match yesterday - normally held in December, it had been postponed due to the lake being frozen throughout much of December and January.

5676548582_d301a2a526_z.jpg

The main trophy was donated by the local paper I write my angling column for, with the second place trophy being donated by Paul, my fishing buddy and Club Secretary.

As I'm sure most of you know, the idea is that everyone brings a prize, with the winner choosing first and then second place and so on...we had a pretty good selection of prizes (gift vouchers, chocolates, champagne, wine and more wine seemed to be the order of the day!) and it was good to see that the large jar of tiger nuts made yet another reappearance! It's becoming an annual fixture at this event as tiger nuts are a banned bait on the lake! I expect to see it again at the next match.

The last time I fished this match, I picked one of the worst possible pegs, sitting in a cold, biting wind all day. Guess what? Yes, I did it again!

Normally I'd love to have drawn peg 9 - you get the full benefit of the sun all day and I've always had good catches from here - not this time! Although the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was blowing an absolute hoolie straight towards me, and didn't let up for the whole day. It was so disappointing, as I thought I'd drawn my favourite peg 6, where I would have been out of the wind, but then someone pointed out the little line underneath the number...

5675956519_6815d519a9_z.jpg

Having recently sold my Korum chair as my fishing tackle and associated bits 'n' bobs were taking over the house, I was using a rather comfortable camping chair. Comfortable when it stayed upright that is! Every time I stood up to do something it blew over, at one point nearly ending up in the back pond! I even pegged it down using the screw in pegs from my brolly, but the wind whipped them out. I spent most of the match sitting cross-legged on my peg, hoping that the reeds at ground level would give some sort of shelter from the biting wind. It was a forlorn hope...

Just ten feet away from me on the back pond it was blissfully peaceful with scarcely a ripple.

5676007955_ff46fe2af9_z.jpg

The fishing was dire, at least at our end of the lake. I had (I think!) three bites, one of which resulted in a tiddler that managed to wriggle itself off the hook before it got to the net, one which snapped me in the reeds and one which I was just too slow to react to. Having only brought float fishing tackle with me, it didn't take me long to realise that it was a hopeless cause. I was getting positively seasick watching the waves!

5679284900_304cedecc8_z.jpg

I tried several different floats, all specifically designed to be "windbeaters" but they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot! Twice the wind gusted so badly that my float actually lifted OUT of the water and flew towards me...It really was just about impossible and I should have given up instead of sticking it out to the bitter end.

There wasn't as much banter round the lake as usual, mainly because it was so windy that you couldn't hear yourself think. It's a good job really, as if the lads had seen my attempts at loose feeding I would never have heard the end of it! I waited and waited for the gusts to die down, handful of maggots at the ready. Ooops! My timing was slightly off and I ended up with the wind blowing them straight back at me. I had maggots in my hair, my bag, my jacket and down my cleavage. I'll be picking them out for weeks!

The match was won in the end by Dave, with a couple of nice carp amongst his catch.

5676626540_fa9fb4083c_z.jpg

Les came a well deserved second...

5676620144_54c7883b89_z.jpg

...and here's the rest of the motley crew!

5676640200_fbbd1e18d8_z.jpg

Apart from the top few, most of the catches were measured in ounces rather than pounds.

5678503289_7d3bbe48fe_z.jpg

He may well look surprised...Paul snuck a brick into the weigh net!

Drying keep nets proved a bit problematical as they performed like wind socks...

5679075438_b02733bc70_z.jpg

As this was my first fishing trip since last October I was very much looking forward to it, but I ended up having the most miserable day. My face is sore and windburnt and my eyes are stinging, despite wearing sunglasses for most of the day.

Needless to say I caught nowt, so I ended up going home with the Lambrini! I think that's only the second time I've ever blanked on our lake.

Oh well. Such is fishing. Will it put me off? No...not a chance! I'll be back!

Janet

PS. Apologies for the image quality...it really was hard to avoid camera shake in that wind!

For the Kingfisher Angling Club members reading this, here's the link to the slideshow

Kingfisher Fur & Feather Match 1st May 2011

Edited by Janet

Seemed like another great fishing day there! Great photo's of the event Janet, especially the flora. Weather like this you just have to get out and about even if you don't catch any fish.

Seemed like another great fishing day there!

Another great fishing day? Far from it...it was by far the worst day I've had since I started fishing! I can't begin to tell you how horrible and demoralising it was! For sure, the company was great as always, but as for the rest of it?

It was one of the very few times when I really, really wished I hadn't bothered to get out of bed to go fishing.

Despite copious amounts of moisturiser, my face is still stinging and I look like I've been gently toasted on one side!

Janet

PS. Apologies for the image quality...it really was hard to avoid camera shake in that wind!

Errrrr what? The pictures are superb! It's been a while since we've had such an account from you Janet and we've missed them. Welcome back!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks for the welcome back Rusty, but I've never really been away! I do look in every day, but seldom have anything to add.

Fishing has rather taken a back seat to my photography lately, but I hope to put that right during the summer.

I'm longing for some of those long, lazy summer days when I can bag up on my club lake and get bragging points!

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I'm very definitely a fair weather angler. I've done fly fishing, river fishing and breaking ice...I know which I prefer!

My fishing time is limited, so I really need to make the most of it and get as much pleasure out of it as I can. Fishing in the sort of conditions we had yesterday is simply not pleasurable and I won't be doing it again!

Janet

Good report there Janet, despite the lack of fish and the unwanted wind :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Shame a few more fish were not biting and the conditions sounded a little testing :D , but a cracking report :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek