On the pole

terryk

I was lucky enough to win a Badger Dynacarp 9.5m pole in one of the fishing glossies a few months back, and considered using it as a first attempt at pole fishing. I know it's not one of the most expensive pieces of kit on the market, but I was wondering if it would be okay to use on my local commercial pool. I was hoping for some advice on elastic types/strength, how many sections to elasticate etc, bearing in mind the carp go up to around 9lb, tench to 5lb and your usual silverfish. Any info would be appreciated.

Terry

Don't know that particular pole, but to judge by the name I'd certainly expect it to handle at least a 16 elastic and be suitable for the job. For the size of fish you're looking at my first choice would be black hydrolastic (10-14 equivalent) through either 2 or 3 sections, depending on how far you have to cut the tip back to fit the elastic. Hydro's very expensive though so you might prefer to go for a 12 through 3 sections instead. Set the elastic fairly soft, so that it just retracts back into the tip when lubricated properly (preston slip is my favourite lube), as you'll bump less of the smaller fish that way. You could go for a lighter elastic if you're mainly targetting the silver fish though, either white hydro (6-10) or a number 8 conventional, again through 3 sections.

I suggest 2 or three for the hydro as it only comes in 3 metre lengths, so if the top 2 are over 2m then you'll only be able to use 2 sections.

HTH

Will

Terry

One thing to look out for when elasticating the pole is to get the right bush for the pole tip.

Especially with heavy elastic, you must have a large enough bush in order to allow a smoothe flow. If you dont you will have to set the elastic tight in order to get it back into the pole, the result will be fish bumped of and not just the small ones. Most bushes have an indication of elastic size on them but in my experiance some overstate the apropriate eleastic.

These ratings wil not usually relate to hollow elastics unless you buy those marketed with the hollow elsastics(Eg Preston). The best advice would be to ask in the tackle shop (if its any good) and if in doubt buy a larger one.

I agree with wormy and have another tip when elasticating.

Use a bung system that allows you to store elastic on it and tension the elastic how you want it.

I use polemaster bungs which are excellent.

You can get the right tension, dont waste any elatic when setting pole up AND if elastic starts wearing near stonfo connector / pole tip you can let some elastic out and retie.

Also get yourself a pole roller - invaluable.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Don't limit yourself to carp puddles. I used to fish a lot of matches on the Trent with a 9m elasticated pole rigged line to hand. It gave great control in fast, relativly shallow water and easily dealt with chub to 3lb or so and even the occasional small barbel. If you can get these sort of fish feeding competetivly in front of you on a river, a pole with a heavy chubber set up can be VERY effective - but you will get funny looks fishing line to hand. They soon shu up when the lacky is stretched right accross the river though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.