Allcock Avon Rod

Elton

Posted on behalf of Michael. Please add all replies to this thread:

I have recently inherited a vintage (not sure of actual age) Allcock Avon rod. 3 sections the top 2 are split cane and the bottom section is cane. Not sure what top do for the best as i'd like to sell this rod if it's worth doing so. Not sure of the best place to sell it or any idea of how much it might be worth?

Any ideas of where to sell or rough range of values. Can email pictures if you think this will help.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

its all down to condition.

all sections same lenght ? no thats half the value gone.

whippings all there ? original rings? no? half that again.

its down to condition, mint in the original bag will get the best price as in everything.

trawl through ebay to see the prices the rods are getting but if you sell it be very truthful with your description as a peed of collector sending it back will ensure you are out of pocket not him

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The rods sections are all the same length. The rod itself is 12ft. All rings are present and correct, to my knowledge they are all original but as this rod hasn't been mine for all it's life i cant say for sure. It has a cloth bag but not sure if this is original. Condition wise its in fully working order, all whippings ferules rings reelseat handle ok. Some rings are a bit tarnished though.

Is ebay the best place to sell this? If so anyone got any idea of a really rough ball park price i might get for it? If its only a tenner or something i might ust keep it!

Thanks for any info you might be able to give me.

Mike

Ebay will be the best place and as its short the postage wont be ludicrous.

Beware though the description above says nothing to the collector ( IE the sections have to be exactly the same length its easy to break a small bit of tip or break across the top of the ferrule losing half an inch) you have to be brutally honest about the condition otherwise it comes back and you suffer.

Very very hard to get good pictures unlike a reel so its all in the description ,i sold a walker avon and after sending it i got a very nasty email about a slightly loose ferrule which luckily i had mentioned in the description .

also its unwise to assemble these old rods as occasionally taking them apart pulls off the ferrule as the scotch glue has turned to powder.

youl get more than the tenner but generally the solid cane section is less interesting than a built cane throughout rod to collectors but if the rods untouched and you point out the faults then well worth the effort.

as for prices its looking at old sales or waiting for a identical one to come on sale and comparing it.

i'v stopped selling rods its not worth the bother if your idea of condition differs from a buyers :( getting grey hairs waiting for feedback before you can buy food with the proceeds at my age isnt good :D

i still buy them if under a tenner (and you find some real gems occasionally the walker avon was £6) but they go up in the loft as a inheritance for the brats to sell when i'm cold in my grave (or more probably a woodland ditch)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ebay will be the best place and as its short the postage wont be ludicrous.

Beware though the description above says nothing to the collector ( IE the sections have to be exactly the same length its easy to break a small bit of tip or break across the top of the ferrule losing half an inch) you have to be brutally honest about the condition otherwise it comes back and you suffer.

Very very hard to get good pictures unlike a reel so its all in the description ,i sold a walker avon and after sending it i got a very nasty email about a slightly loose ferrule which luckily i had mentioned in the description .

also its unwise to assemble these old rods as occasionally taking them apart pulls off the ferrule as the scotch glue has turned to powder.

youl get more than the tenner but generally the solid cane section is less interesting than a built cane throughout rod to collectors but if the rods untouched and you point out the faults then well worth the effort.

as for prices its looking at old sales or waiting for a identical one to come on sale and comparing it.

i'v stopped selling rods its not worth the bother if your idea of condition differs from a buyers :( getting grey hairs waiting for feedback before you can buy food with the proceeds at my age isnt good :D

i still buy them if under a tenner (and you find some real gems occasionally the walker avon was £6) but they go up in the loft as a inheritance for the brats to sell when i'm cold in my grave (or more probably a woodland ditch)

Their is a man located in Ireland by the name of Mickey Georgelin that used to be an expert with these sort of topics. See if you can somehow find him online. I believe he was a certified fly casting instructor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is the rod actually called an Avon? My old Allcocks catalogue from the late 1940's doesn't list any rods by that name - and a quick google around doesn't throw up anything either?

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The only Allcocks rod badged "Avon" that I know of is a 10', 2 joint, all split cane model called the "Avon Superb". It's listed in the 1965 catalogue.

The rod you describe doesn't sound like a typical "Avon", which were almost always as described above, regardless of the maker's name. Most cane 12 footers were designed as match rods with whole cane (or Spanish reed) butt and middle sections and split cane top.

brilliant site here well worth bookmarking

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/VintageRods_AllcocksRods.asp