Upstream Ledgering

The Flying Tench

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought of a better example of my question about a narrow river. (Liam, the actual place I'm thinking of is Rainsford Farm on the Kennet). I wanted to fish a fast barbel run right under the near bank, under the rod tip. What I did was hopeless. I cast about 3 yards downstream, so the line was pulling the feeder upwards, and it's no wonder it wouldn't hold bottom. What I'd now do is cast about 10 yards upstream parallel to the rod tip, so the currrent would be pushing the line downwards so it would be pulling at the feeder almost horizontally, and would hopefully hold bottom.

But is there a third option? Would Budgie and BRPS simply drop the feeder under the rod tip and let out a fair amount of line to give a bow? Or would the bow not work with the line having to come back on itself so abruptly?

john clarke

Initially my thoughts are that I would just use a heavier feeder.However wether I would just drop it beneath the tip or fish it up or down stream would very much depend on the swim.This would have to take into acount both the vegetation on the bank(to supply cover from the fish) and any snags etc in the water that the fish could be using for cover.

Even though the upstream method does allow the use of lighter feeders to hold bottom dont be a slave to it and remember there is nothing wrong with using a heavier feeder.The weight of the feeder doesnt directly affect the sensitivity of the set up,it is how the whole lot is balanced ie current,amount of line out (up or down stream) and the strength of the tip.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I usually try the upstream ' when I cannot get ahead of the chub, just in front of weirs etc. In the gentle slopes of east anglia I am rarely troubled by rocks etc (shopping trolleys and bikes tho') I do start off with a slack line but when in the flow this then just gets tighter. Rather than a feeder I just use swan shot on a weak slip over loop. If I am trying to arc across the river I use the drilled shot leger weight.

I find that using the leger to seach for the fish tends to get the decent bites. I suppose I scare off the shy ones. On some swims it is deadly and on others it is a waste of time.

"Muddlin' along"

Hi John,

"What I'd now do is cast about 10 yards upstream parallel to the rod tip, so the current would be pushing the line downwards so it would be pulling at the feeder almost horizontally, and would hopefully hold bottom."

This sounds OK. I would have a reasonably tight line in this situation though. Mainly because there is no benefit in not having one and putting a good bend on the rod top will enhance bite detection.

I rarely even use a quiver in this situation, as a normal tip helps balance it all for a good drop back.

In which case resistance felt is not a problem.

At that distance in a good current, the line should be pretty flat on the bottom for a couple of yards at least, depending on depth. Bite indication should be a drop back probably followed by the tip going over.

I personally never strike as such on the drop back, but gently take up the slack and feel for it.

Even on a running rig, this will act like a fixed rig at that distance also.

Rainsford has some great swims for free lining as well John if you are feeling active.

Especially the sand bag swim.

Caught many of my fish there on this method, many years ago.

Using a bait dropper for the maggots close in and fishing under the rod tip works well in a lot of swims down there as well. I think that this is Fred’s favoured method on the opposite bank. Pin, or baitrunner set.

…………Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk