The Lift Method

A Worm OOE

I often see the lift method recomended for Tench Carp Bream etc. It is obviously a very effective method as it has been recomended on numerous occaisions by anglers who obviously know what they are talking about. My problem is that being a match angler I am extremely conscious of the effect of lead near the hook. When float fishing I would never go larger than a no 4 as a tell tale and only then when fishing a slider. I usually have an 8 or 9 as my tell tale. How,with the lift, do you get away with a swan or aaa that the fish has to actually pick up. Why do the fish not reject the bait imediately unless it is acting like a bolt rig.

Just curious as I am often faced with pole fishing (14/16 meters) against lillies for tench and usually use very small floats which can be a problem with a tow or wind. I had an idea of anchoring a bait on the bottom and fishing a lift style rig but want to understand the usuall lift method first.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this on the web. Not sure if it's correct though!

quote:

When you get a bite the float will rise upwards. This is because when the carp sucks in the bait he lifts the weights so the float is not counterbalanced (simple physics) The beauty of this method is that the carp feels no weight or resistance as the float helps to lift the weight. Also its easy to tell between a line bite (knock) and a real bite (lift) This method is superb on stillwater and lakes but is difficult to set up on fast moving rivers. Float fishing is fun but can be hard work and is restricted to close range fishing .
http://www.carp.net/bobber.htm

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

I've never fished the lift method, but I did once read an account (Dick Walker?) of a tench chasing a bait presented in that way all around a swim, without being able to take it. Apparently, the action of the fish's pectorals when positioning itself to take the bait was having the effect of repeatedly washing it out of reach!

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/GettingSta...ishing.htm#Lift

Go here for some advice,it may help you.

Regards

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Right, that is one method im deffinatly going to be trying in the weeks to come.

What about its effectivness for catching smaller fish?

Thanks you two

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

I am not sure i am qualified to answer the question regarding smaller fish,all i would say is that the anchor shot would need to be very small therefore the whole rig setup would need to be of the lightest possible.Weather conditions would then play a major factor,ie the conditions would have to be dead calm to provide the sensativity needed to detect the bites.

Regards

[ 24. June 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: medwaygreen ]

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

i fish the lift method alot.i use a 4bb waggler with the bottam shot a AAA sometimes the float will just go straight under but 80% of the time the float lifts up and i always strike as its lifting not when its fully flat and hook 95% of fish. it will work for smaller fish but take the float down to a 2bb waggler or somthing like that that will take a bb shot as the holding shot.i had a very sucsesfull day cruicain fishing this way with a bag of up to 60lb plus some nice roach on caster

[ 24. June 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: edd ]

jk,if your after smaller fish the lift method can

be effective for fish down to about 4oz , if the

setup is right any under weight fish should move

the anchor weight without lifting it this should

make the float slide away instead of lifting,all

you have to do is scale things down to make it more sensative ie:thinner float smaller shot etc

SEE HERE: My Way With The Lift Way

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve