Commercial Carp Fisheries

Fishy Dom

In my neck of the woods(Somerset) commercial carp ponds are springing up everywhere. I don't really have a problem with that, you pays your money and takes your choice, although I wouldn't fish them myself. What does grate with me is that as Secretary of one of the local clubs, we have evidence that some of these fisheries are employing people to steal fish from my club's waters and other club's in the area. In one such instance a friend of mine had photographic evidence of a stolen 22lb common, but the EA seemed powerless to do anything about it. Most of the carp anglers in the area boycott these waters, believing them to have no challenge whatsoever. But as long as other anglers continue to visit these places then they will continue to steal our fish.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he can pretty much do as he likes , the head bailiff (ex army ex police is a typical yes man ) would have the place totally treeless if he could (he`s always out with his bow saw trimming) the work is classed as "safety" i expect ,already with the far bank cleared the wind is more apparant (in fact yesterday the wind was blowing from two directions :confused: ) the matchmen are very happy with the cleared bank as they can slide their poles back without looking , as for the members having a say all the say they get is the right to vote for whom they want (just like our government) unfortunatly what they do when inpower is up to them and may not be in agreement with the members (eerr just like our government) next step is the digger getting involved and "straightening " the paths etc :( but to make the paths "safe" and "disabled" friendly ,ofcourse the digger cant get in with all the trees about ,its just another word for destruction :(

as you know the "value" and "prestige" of a club is not what the members think its what "others" think about it ,if the club is seen to be spending more money than the next one then it attracts more members hence more money and prestige

another "great" idea is to turn one water into a pike puddle :( i was speaking to a couple of members who have fished the lake for years and it is home to very "nice" pike ,they have kept very quiet about its inhabitants ,now they dont fish it ,why because of the pike introductions (there is even talk of introducing trout to "feed them up" )what was once a fairly hard water but with the chance of a "biggie" ,anglers are bothered by introduced small pike picking up baits otherwise destined for larger mouths

[ 02. February 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

jonboy walton:

we have evidence that some of these fisheries are employing people to steal fish from my club's waters and other club's in the area. In one such instance a friend of mine had photographic evidence of a stolen 22lb common, but the EA seemed powerless to do anything about it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jon

The EA may not be able to do anything but if you havre evidence, the police can - theft is theft

Bill

Apparently the water in question has photos of every carp in it on a notice board, my friend took a photo of the fish that had been stolen and matched the photos EXACTLY. However this is not enough to get a conviction, you have to catch them in the act, something which is very difficult.

Jon

yes you can have a say at the agm ,but with the matchfishing lads and other cliques having the biggest clout anything that favours them are readily excepted ,the old fashioned types like me who just go for a pleasant time and any fish caught are a bonus are in the minority ,i am perfectly happy to fish and blank, unfortunatly others arnt :( they expect to get to their swim without mud on their shoes and catch fish

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

So therefore any expenditure for these projects has been sanctioned by the membership, is that right. Not that I know the club rules or constitution, but if the writers/makers of these were worth their salt, there could be a breach of them if the membership did not vote to agree on the money spent.

Quote " Apparantly the water in question has a photo on the board of every carp in it!"

When I fish a water like that it will be time to call the doctors in!

Do the anglers have an I spy book to check of the fish by name? That must be one of the saddest things I have read. Where on earth is the adventure.

Graham

Posted by Sultan

quote:

Reminds me of a lake called Bolingey. Once a dream of a water situated near Perranporth in Cornwall.

I agree, me and my mates used to travel to the south west every 'close season' and Bolingey was one of our favorite venues, a great place to fish for all of the reasons you state. This like many waters has been spoiled. There are however some manufactured waters that provide sport for all types of anglers, Broadlands in Hampshire springs to mind, an excellent mixed fishery, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Know what you mean Graham. But on the other side of the coin I have seen a couple of albums of carp that were started when the fish were only 4lbs or so back in the mid seventies, and some of them are now in the mid forties. Makes for an interesting history.

Needed a good degree of cooperation and diligence to achieve it.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic