lure fishing tackle advise?

luremanmike

hi all, this is my first post so i'll start by introducing my self. Im a young fisherman of 24, i have been general course fishing for some years now (since i was 13) mainly doing abit of feeder and float fishing. I am going to be hated on for this but i have grow bored of this kind of fishing and no long find siting in a fixed position for long periods waiting for bites exciting nor fun....

Lure fishing has grabbed my attention as a active way of fishing. i have recently picked up a cheap spinning rod designed to chuck out 10-50g lures (which i know are small to mid sized lures). with this rod i intend to fish for what ever comes along (perch, pike, zander, chub) but understand in having a "universal" set up i would not be able to use bigger lures for big pike (not that i'd want too on this rod). so here starts the questions.....

my main concern isnt about what lures to use but is about line and traces. Now first off let me say again I DO NOT INTEND TO GO "PIKE FISHING" BUT "GENERAL LURE FISHING" i will be catching pike (jacks) but DONT intend on targeting large specimens at least not on purpose (big pike are caught in my area but very rarely).

Before anyone says buy braid... i will when im more flush for money but at the moment i cant afford too. I was thinking 15lb mono main line and 15lb trace would serve me well starting out obviously upgrading in the future.

will perch and chub not be spooked by 15lb trace and 15lb line? should i go lighter?? if i do go lighter wont snags be a nightmare???

any help is much appreciated

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Anglers' Net.

If there are pike of any size in the water you will need to use a wire trace. Unfortunately, that can put perch off a bit but it also means that pike won't wind up swimming around with your lure and a short bit of line while you buy new lures.

As to the rest, I'll leave the advice to other members here who are very accustomed to lure angling and more familiar with UK conditions that I could ever be.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi mate i do a bit of lure fishing and always use a wire trace when a treble hook is involved. i also went over to using braid mainline for lure fishing. You keep in contact with the lure more as there is no streach in the line. also you are more likley to get the lure back if you get snagged. Other than that i am sure that more expereinced lure anglers will post on here soon.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

[if you are just starting lure fishing,i could go on alldaybut i assume you have a computer,just go on youtube on lure fishing,they mainly fish for wide mouth bass and dont use traces,they are miles ahead in general than us,so give some vides a veiw.all the best

90+% of my fishing is with lures. That doesn't make me an 'expert'. However in water where Pike occur I always use a wire trace, there are fine wires availiabe these days. The question of wire putting perch off will be debated from time to time. Perhaps I have missed some big perch because of the wire. However I have caught lots of good ones despite using it. I don't belive it puts stripeys off at all. Drennan or Fox soft strand wire, make up your own traces.

As for line, buy some braid, make it happen, I would rather stop eating for a few days than go fishing with bad line. For lightweight set ups like you are planning I use 20lb bs 'powerpro',

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Pause.......Braid. Sorry but it's the only way to go if you want to target chub and perch with lures because you simply can't cast small lures far enough with mono. Braid also allows you to feel bites and often this will be nothing more than feeling the blade of a spinner stop rotating for a moment. There's plenty of cheap braids on the market and if you have a word with your tackle shop, they should be able to set you up with 100m for about a tenner.

Yes, always use wire. I suspect that you are thinking that thick wire will put fish off when they feel it and that might be the case with bait fishing but when fish are hitting a lure, it's a non-issue.

I do tend to use fairly light wire but that's just about balanced tackle and most fish arn't put off buy the visual impact of the wire - they are afterall usually attacking from behind where they can't see the trace.

If you get hooked, you can start building your own lighter traces from components like this:

dscf1911a.jpg

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I tried one years ago Steve and it was useless. It was prone to tangles on the turnover and a pike could still bite through it. The new stuff seems to be better though so I'd be interested to here impressions of the modern versions.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.