School reprimands seven-year-old boys for playing 'army game'

Slack lines

A primary school has been condemned by parents for disciplining two seven-year-old boys after teachers ruled playing army games amounted to "threatening behaviour".

Staff at Nathaniel Newton Infant School in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, reprimanded the two boys after they were seen making pistol shapes with their fingers.

Teachers broke up the imaginary classroom shoot-out and contacted the youngsters’ parents, warning them that such behaviour would not be tolerated.

The school, which caters for around 180 pupils aged four to seven, said the gun gestures were “unacceptable” and were not permitted at school.

However, parents have described the reaction as “outrageous”, while family groups warned that “wrapping children in cotton wool” damages their upbringing.

Defending its policy, a spokesman for Nathaniel Newton Infant School said: “Far from stopping children from playing we actively encourage it.

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

Our primary school headmaster hated us playing war in the playground, and tried (unsuccessfully) to discourage it.

Boys will be boys.

Once again the headline doesn't really reflect the truth of the story. :rolleyes:

Buried in the body of the article;

"The issue here was about hand gestures being made in the shape of a gun towards members of staff which is understandably unacceptable, particularly in the classroom."

So it sounds as though the little angels were being disruptive in class, which is a lot different than being in the playground.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Quote:

"This is political correctness gone mad. When I was that age that type of game was common place and I don't remember anyone coming to any harm from it."

I wondered how long it would take someone to say it ;):lol:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

When I was at School if they caught you playing soldiers they enrolled you into the cadets and gave you a Lee Enfield .303 to play with :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

When I was at School if they caught you playing soldiers they enrolled you into the cadets and gave you a Lee Enfield .303 to play with :D

And sent you on night training exercises in the woods where prefects - sorry, "officers" - threw thunderflashes at you?

And "arduous training" exercises in the Lake District in the middle of winter?

Ah, I'm starting to remember now why I never joined. :D

My kids school have tried to ban the kids playing "war" type games too. Unsuccessfully so far :D

They've also banned the kids from playing "Bulldog" type games, the only ball allowed in the playground is a very light tennis ball sized holey plastic "airball" that they have to buy from the school, and even that is banned on "football free Fridays" - my boys call it fun free friday

A couple of years ago the school also demolished the only play equipment in the playground - 2 climbing frames in order to extend the library and build a bigger office for the head.

And then they send home letters telling us that the kids should eat healthy and get more exercise . . . . . .

Mat

Mat