Small fixed spool reel

Dick Dastardly

Many thanks Lyn, I have a 324 some where come to think of it! I will try and find it and if its right use that till a good C3 comes up.

Andy my first thoughts were that I too would have spent the extra on the Shimano......but all the recent model Shimano's Ive seen have been/looked very poor quality.Let me know how you get on.

I'm still unsure on the rod so I'm going over to see Nick some time in the week to tap him up to see if he has/can get anything suitable. Ive found and been recommended several ones from the US but the shipping (mainly one piece rods) has killed that one unfortunately. But not to worried as there is a fair bit of choice.

Looking forward to giving it a go.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy my first thoughts were that I too would have spent the extra on the Shimano......but all the recent model Shimano's Ive seen have been/looked very poor quality.Let me know how you get on.

I'm still unsure on the rod so I'm going over to see Nick some time in the week to tap him up to see if he has/can get anything suitable. Ive found and been recommended several ones from the US but the shipping (mainly one piece rods) has killed that one unfortunately. But not to worried as there is a fair bit of choice.

Looking forward to giving it a go.

I know, old habits and all that, the top end Shimanos are still superb but I agree the cheaper ones are nowhere near the same quality. I'll give the little Sedona a hard time and report back. For this style of fishing (as opposed to sitting on rod rests) they will be doing some hard work too.

The choice of rods in the US compared to here is amazing. Next time you see Alex it'll be worth having a chat about rods. He's been doing this for a while now and is pretty clued up. He gets all his bits from the states, and in the case of rods he gets a blank and all the eyes etc. separately and gets them built here in Blighty. As you can do all that yourself, it might be worth considering.

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in. The Oxfordshire perch better be on guard, the next crayfish they munch might have me attached B)

4in-rattlecraw-green2.jpg

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

:thumbs: Im on it mate! I think I would prefer the older one to the new as they still made them well then.

i have a c3 [the one with the drag underneath ]if this is the same reel only problem the bale alarm wont automatically return,i dont know what it would cost to repair

That rubber crayfish looks intriguing!

They arrived today actually Steve, and they look even better in real life. I really can't wait to try it all out, bumping one of those slowly along the bottom has to pick up perch surely, and probably chub too.

The reel arrived too, it's a perfect size (tiny little thing!) with a very good drag and it seems pretty well put together, so on first impressions I'm pleased with it.

I've been cooped up in a bivvy for too long, rivers here we come :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

i have a c3 [the one with the drag underneath ]if this is the same reel only problem the bale alarm wont automatically return,i dont know what it would cost to repair

The big problem is that not only was the C3 model discontinued some years back it was never that popular in the UK the larger C5 selling far more.Difficult to get a secondhand one here in the UK and parts nigh on impossible!

Ive a couple of contacts in the US I use for ABU spares for the reel servicing repair work I do on multipliers so have all ready got them keeping an eye out for a decent conditioned C3.I will ask to see if they can get hold of any bail arm assembly spares (most likely the spring has gone in yours) if they can I can let you know and once my back log of work is out of the way can repair it for you.

They arrived today actually Steve, and they look even better in real life. I really can't wait to try it all out, bumping one of those slowly along the bottom has to pick up perch surely, and probably chub too.

The reel arrived too, it's a perfect size (tiny little thing!) with a very good drag and it seems pretty well put together, so on first impressions I'm pleased with it.

I've been cooped up in a bivvy for too long, rivers here we come :)

I have allways found Crayfish imitations never to be so good for UK species as it seems they are in the US. However I'm certainly going to give them another try with the Drop Shotting technique as well.

I think that by the mere fact the method allows you to keep your lure in the (as the Yanks would say!) "Strike Zone" for longer that its going to be a winner for Perch next to cover,I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.So much so that even thoughts of Bream and Tench have taken a bit of a back seat!

The big problem is that not only was the C3 model discontinued some years back it was never that popular in the UK the larger C5 selling far more.Difficult to get a secondhand one here in the UK and parts nigh on impossible!

Ive a couple of contacts in the US I use for ABU spares for the reel servicing repair work I do on multipliers so have all ready got them keeping an eye out for a decent conditioned C3.I will ask to see if they can get hold of any bail arm assembly spares (most likely the spring has gone in yours) if they can I can let you know and once my back log of work is out of the way can repair it for you.

A few more here

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ABU-GARCIA-CAR...=item45fb5d5ee0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ABU-Garcia-Cardinal-3-...=item27bbed2a24

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Abu-Cardinal-3-Spinn...=item23113f6f14

This one in Malaysia may be of interest

http://shop.ebay.com.my/merchant/cardinalcarp