Course fishing rod advice

absolute0

I'm wanting to get back into course fishing starting with float fishing on a local river and also some lake fishing.

I haven't bought a rod in some 20 years.

What kind of length would I be best buying?

I was thinking 11ft, but have been told by someone else that 12ft may be better.

Also should I be looking to get a 3 or 2 piece?

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Welcome.

Not much has changed in 20 years except the prices which are much lower in relative terms that they have ever been if you're after basic tackle.

Carbon is still the material of choice and for the what you're looking to do a three piece rod of 13' is about right.

Expect to pay about £50 for a reasonable entry level rod and I'm sure a few suggestions will be forthcomming soon.

Ken

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Check Watatoad's web site (found in his postings) for reviews of gear

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I only use short rods for float fishing (I only fish the canal) so 6-8ft is all I need. But in regards to my feeder rods ect: I prefer the 11ft 3 piece. The only reason I prefer the 3 piece is simply because it is generally smaller when dismantled. Think carefully about the length though, you dont want a 12ft if you are fishing under trees ect: However if you are fishing just off margins and the growth comes out over the water, the 12ft is much more ideal.... Also consider how far you are casting and what kind of weights you are casting :)

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Are jarvis walker rods anygood?

Honestly, watatoads reviews are really rather good and based on experience not hype. Give him a shout (read his website reviews), he may be a cantakerous old so and so (on the forum) but he'll give you an honest to god opinion based on his personal experience. Have got the 10' leeda float rod he recommend and its a great piece of kit for FA money.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Are jarvis walker rods anygood?

Only JV rods I know about are ones for the Australian market so wouldn't have thought they would do much for our styles of fishing here in the UK but tell me if anyone knows better!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well I'm going to have to push the 13@ TFG "Mat Hayes" Float/Match rods that I have again I'm afraid! Not only do I have a few boxes to sell but they honestly are in my opinion a terrific rod for the price! I WILL put a photo up today as I keep promising ! just got to hope for some light!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

For starters a 13ft rod is an ideal all round size as it will aid casting and aid float presentaion on the rivers.

Now, every poster will give you their opinion on the gear they use or have used which will be biased, I myself use a couple of Map parabolix models with had an RRP of 300.00 (both 13ft) and a 14ft shimano 420 twin power match rod that cost me 120.00 about 20years ago but is still a joy to use.

These days any rod priced at around £50 will be ok but the advice I always will give is save for a few more months or sell some old kit and spend around £100 pounds and you will get a piece of kit that is much more enjoyable to use as it will be lighter and have much better fittings.

Also if you want to sell it you will find it much easier to do so than with a cheaper rod.

Another option is to watch ebay where you can pick of some very good rods at stupid prices.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!