Whats happening at the ACA ?

Cranfield

Peter Waller:

Brian, there are those who consider NAFAC rather dictatorial. I used to sit on a consultative & we seriously considered pulling out of NAFAC for that reason. In the end, because we could get no support, we folded it.

I'm sorry to hear that Peter. I've not come across that kind of attitude - "dictatorial" I've been a member of NAFAC as an individual and as a member of several Consultatives, Welland and Nene, Great Ouse, River Severn and currently the Furness and South Cumbria Consultative, probably from NAFAC's early days as a Consultative Standing Committee. I have known several members of the NAFAC Executive Committee for many years now and felt able to get them to listen to me and to carry my concerns to relevant parties, particularly on the serious eel situation. This is why I have been so positive about them. I also understand that NAFAC is activly assisting in the establishment of consultatives in new areas or where established consultatives have folded. I believe we need consultatives to cover all fisheries, particularly in light of the coming proliferation of fishery action plans. I also believe in the need of a national organisation such as NAFAC to co-ordinate the work of all consultatives and those responsible for fisheries.

Perhaps the NAFAC Regional Officers for your area were not up to the job or responsibility?

Without knowing the events leading to your negative opinion, I could not really comment further.I can only hope that that problem gets resolved. The general opinion is that NAFAC is a good organisation. However, as I have said before many times, when an organisation is administered by people on a part-time basis, using their own time, energy and resources, you are bound to get problems from time to time. As NAFAC continues to grow, it might have to go down the path of employing regional and national officers to cope with the demands of an increasing membership base.

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our regional bloke was Terry, us being Norfolk based!! We have since all joined the Broads Angling Strategy Group. The only real plus of NAFAC was the excellent insurence deal. But personally I now get that via the PAC.

[ 23. November 2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Peter, are you talking about indemnity insurance? If so I'd be grateful if you'd post details of the PAC cover. Thanks.

[ 24. November 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I was, but not any more.

Thanks, Peter.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Brian Crawford wrote :-

''I'm not sure I would be happy about having to pay £5.00 for a set of accounts - at least I would not be if I were a member. I never had to pay in the past.''

Perhaps a member could get a copy for free, I really don't know about that but now I've resigned I don't think they would send me one

Peter waller wrote :-

''As a matter of interest, if you don't mind telling me PeterK, what motivated you to go delving into ACA accounts?''

Well Peter talk of a 'missing million' was one reason. I don't really consider it to be delving because (as I have now discovered) the Trustee Company is limited and as such anyone can look at the information. I didn't really like paying for it but then it's better to have the facts.

Just for the record I do company searches sometimes as part of my work so it was something I have been aware of for some time. Also - just for the record I paid for the ACA search out of my own pocket....... I'd hate to be the subject of a witch hunt, they seem to get very nasty.

If anyone has information regarding a missing million pounds it's not a matter for this forum - it is a criminal matter and should be reported to the police!

I've worked for two organisations that like the ACA are governed by committees. In each of these organisations there is resentment by the committee of the paid staff and vice versa. Communications between staff and committee often leave much to be desired and I don't imagine the ACA is much different.

Steve Burke:

Peter, are you talking about indemnity insurance? If so I'd be grateful if you'd post details of the PAC cover. Thanks.

Have a look at the following Steve, you'll see that it is £5m third party liability cover. Posted Image

Well, the image has gone missing, sorry!

[ 24. November 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Steve King:

I've worked for two organisations that like the ACA are governed by committees. In each of these organisations there is resentment by the committee of the paid staff and vice versa. Communications between staff and committee often leave much to be desired and I don't imagine the ACA is much different.

Probably inherent in human nature - "them and us"

On a grander scale we have the Government and the Civil Service......

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...