BBC Bias - Fish feel pain

Guest NickInTheNorth

Guest NickInTheNorth

I hope the moderators will permit this posting on this forum.

If you feel that the recent reporting by the BBC on fish feeling pain has been biased, and in particular that it has breached the following Producers Guidelines:

quote:

The BBC’s Editorial Values:

"We aim to be the world’s most creative and trusted broadcaster and programme maker, seeking to satisfy all our audiences with services that inform, educate and entertain and enrich their lives in the ways that the market alone will not. We aim to be guided by our public purposes; to encourage the UK’s most innovative talents; to act independently of all interests, and to aspire to the highest ethical standards:"

Impartiality

Due impartiality lies at the heart of the BBC. All BBC programmes and services should be open minded, fair and show a respect for truth. No significant strand of thought should go unreflected or under represented on the BBC (see Chapter 2).

Accuracy

We must be accurate and must be prepared to check, cross-check and seek advice to ensure this. Wherever possible we should gather information first-hand by being there ourselves or, where that is not possible, by talking to those who were. But accuracy is often more than a question of getting the facts right. All relevant information should be weighed to get at the truth of what is reported or described (see Chapter 2).

Fairness

BBC programmes should be based on fairness, openness and straight dealing. Contributors should be treated honestly and with respect. They have a right to know what a programme is about, what kind of contribution they are expected to make, whether it will be live or recorded and whether it is to be edited (see Chapter 3).

Full details of the guidelines can be found here

Then please complain to them by using this form .

It is the only way to ensure (possibly) that some action is taken to ensure that this type of blatantly biased reporting is not perpetuated.

On Radio Suffolk we heard a day long campaign, or so it seemed, by the BBC to alienate anglers by using unbalenced and apparently biased reporting.

I have, in a calm and considered manner, complained about this to the BBC. The link is above, thanks to Nick in the North, nice one. I earnestly suggest that ALL AN posters do like wise.

Lets keep this one at the top, let the BBC know that you consider it was seriously out of order.

Perhaps, Nick, you could post your link on other major forums.

Yeah i think ill complain about the way they are blocking our replies on their talk forum.

Just as a point of interest the bbc seem to be forgetting that it was them that first screened the show a passion for angling and some others too.

Nick

Thanks for posting this link and it is very useful, but its the BBC internal complaints process. As it was them who unfairly treaded us in the first place any complaints are likely to go in file No9...... Bin, after some weaseled worded letter of thanks for making it.

To really make them pay for the injustice they've dealt us, you need to make a formal complaint to the Broadcasting Standards Commission.

www.bsc.org.uk

These are the people who make adjudications that you see published after consumer programmes when they’ve got it wrong.

I would ask everybody to make a complaint to BSC over this issue.

phil h.