Fishing around Wantage?

MiddleEastland

Hi

I am being transferred back to Newbury from Bordeaux.

My dearly bewildered has been looking at houses.....................

She's from a small rural town in Brittany, and likes the look of Wantage.

Now, it's on chalk, so no water, and therefore no fishing that I can find.

I'm looking for rivers mainly. Hopefully smaller than the Dordogne, or Isle, but not that fussy.

What is there around Wantage?

(We lived in Barcelona for 3 years, where there is NO freshwater, apart from the Llobregat, that was absolute torture, pleaqse tell me Wantage is better :D )

A bientot

We lived in Barcelona for 3 years, where there is NO freshwater, apart from the Llobregat, that was absolute torture, pleaqse tell me Wantage is better :D

OK, I will :)

Within a short drive you have dozens of gravel pits and other stillwaters (some quite famous), a loads of quality river fishing. Off the top of my head there's the Thames, Thame, Evenlode, Windrush, Ray, Cherwell, Kennet, Lambourn, and probably several others I've missed!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

OK, I will :)

Within a short drive you have dozens of gravel pits and other stillwaters (some quite famous), a loads of quality river fishing. Off the top of my head there's the Thames, Thame, Evenlode, Windrush, Ray, Cherwell, Kennet, Lambourn, and probably several others I've missed!

Yep you'd be very lucky there is loads of water within 30mins of Wantage.

Rich

A very discerning wife, I can personally vouch for the residents of Wantage, they are fine upstanding people :D .

It’s a great location for a huge variety of fishing, it does have it's own angling club with a small lake on the outskirts of town (crucians, tench and silvers) you also get access to the Thames at Abingdon.

You'd be within the radius limit for Thatcham Angling Association so could join that for access to some lakes and the Kennet south of Wantage. Newbury Angling Association has a smaller radius limit so associate membership is available to you if a full member would endorse your application. Well worth it, I'm an associate member and the few restrictions don’t impact on the fishing at all, NAA has more of the Kennet and a larger number of stillwaters so between them they fulfil my needs. The Lambourn provides grayling entertainment during the colder months. North of Wantage are the other rivers Anderoo mentioned, Newlands AC springs to mind as the one to join but as I haven’t yet ventured up that way I’m not certain. They’ll be other clubs too.

In short this general area is one of the best in the country for both river and stillwater fishing, have a look at my blog for some pics of the Kennet.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm in Wantage for a party on Saturday. Buy a house on Sunday - they will be considerably cheaper :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Newbury Angling Association has a smaller radius limit so associate membership is available to you if a full member would endorse your application.

Alas, currently a waiting list for NAA Associate tickets. As Rusty says TAA have some good water - 2 cracking stretches of the Kennet (just back from one of them - see blog!) some very good bits of the K&A canal and 3 or 4 lakes. Newbury has a lot more of the Kennet, 9 lakes and miles of canal.....

Why not move to Newbury! ;)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Many thanks for all the replies.

Obviously not as bad as I feared!

As a married man, I don't really get a vote on where we live, which house we buy, etc. Any opinion requested, merely requires agreement with her opinion :rolleyes: . She hates Newbury........we have lived there before. Too many of her fellow countrymen/women.

One thing we do agree on..............resally looking forward to getting back to the UK.

Hasta lluego

• 2 months later...