The law on catching and eating fish

N9T9F14KE

What an odd thread, and yet some on here entertain this individual with replies, we get a lot of these here to-day gone to-morrow posters who seemingly don't fish and are only interested in a wind up.

That is not as nearly as annoying as bad manners and poor speling; punctuation etc etc.

Rich

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked on there and from what i can gather, it`s ok to take fish from the rivers so long as you follow the rule they`ve set on how many.

Rivers

On any given day, you may only remove:

• 15 small fish (up to 20 cm from tip of snout to

fork of tail) of the native species listed in Box 1;

• one pike of up to 65 cm;

• two grayling of 30–38 cm.

If you remove more fish than this, you are committing

an offence under the new byelaws – you risk a

substantial fine.

And i can assure you i`m not a wind up merchant, i`ve got better things to do then go through the hassle of signing up to a forum and then posting a few posts.

Thanks for all the replies.

I looked on there and from what i can gather, it`s ok to take fish from the rivers so long as you follow the rule they`ve set on how many.

And i can assure you i`m not a wind up merchant, i`ve got better things to do then go through the hassle of signing up to a forum and then posting a few posts.

Thanks for all the replies.

if you have the permission of the land owner then you have your answer but i presume you will have to kill them on the bank so you can "remove" them

not seen this leaflet before perhaps its closing a few loopholes our foreign friends used???

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/stati...b_-_English.pdf

you will though need a rod licence to catch them in the first place of course

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Why do you want to do this if you dont mind me asking. Im not saying dont, i would just like to know what made you want to eat a fish from the gloriously clean UK rivers?

While im here i will just point out that even though water qaulity is good these days, there are still dangerous levels of chemical deposits in some rivers. These make their way up the food chain from the sediment below and as such fish tend to have the highest concentrations of the maddness inducing toxins! Be safe!

gone

Yes - providing you also have a rod licence and the written permission of the owner of the fishing rights. Those restrictions are quite tight, though - the 20cm allowance is for pike bait, you wouldn't really want to eat anything that small. Grayling are not very widespread, so in most cases the only thing you are likely to be allowed is pike - unless you are trout fishing.

Any particular reason for asking what the rules are?

How about trying to catch the American Crayfish if you are that hungry:

The law surrounding the trapping of crayfish is very strict. This is mainly due to the Seventies crash of imported farmed crayfish when many North American crayfish escaped in to native waters. Our small white-claw crayfish have been threatened ever since, as the intruders are bigger, stronger and breed faster, and they brought associated plagues to which native species are highly susceptible.

In June 2005 the Environment Agency (EA) introduced a list of crayfish by-laws that, under certain conditions, would allow the trapping of non-native crayfish in England and Wales. No one is allowed to trap native crayfish, only the larger “alien” varieties. Any fisherman who catches an alien crayfish must kill it rather than return it to the water.

You need a licence, which is free, to trap crayfish and your local EA needs to know exactly where you will be setting your trap. Permission will be dependent on the situation and the EA will take in to account the possible effect that trapping could have on other species. As many water courses run through private property it would be your responsibility to obtain permission from the landowner before you start. All traps must be inspected every 24 hours.

Give this ago, you'll be doing us all a favour.

Michael

(and, actually, I don't think there's much salmon fishing where you are allowed to keep fish these days).

I'm not sure that's the case Steve, most waters i know still allow you the take some salmon and sea trout. Which is kind of ironic as i would say both are far more endangered than most coarse fish.......

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep