Advice on fishing clubs

prez

Hello all!

Last summer I was introduced to fishing by a friend who took me to a small lake where I had great fun waggler fishing for small roach. We went a further two times during which he taught me all the basics. Luckily I always managed to catch something (up to a 2 foot long carp) which probably contributed to my current addiction.

Anyway I will be moving to Southampton because of work. I did some research and found two angling clubs there - Eastleigh District AC and Test Valley AC.

Firstly how does an angling club work? If I join one of these clubs will I still have to pay for day tickets or do club members get some sort of discount? Each club has its own waters - do members get some benefit from fishing in these waters rather than other places not listed as club waters?

Secondly does anyone have any experience with either of these clubs or have any other recommendations?

Really, I have no clue other than how to wagger fish! Thanks for any help.

prez

You're doing the right thing by joining a club. Nearly all clubs lease the angling rights to several waters. If you are a member of that club, you club fees go towards paying for the lease of those waters, therefore, you are paying for the right to fish them. This means that you can fish them for no further charge.

Occasionally, clubs have to pay high rental rates on some waters. When this happens, they sometimes charge members a little more to fish there. Also, if a water is small, or very good, they might limit numbers a bit.

Apart from club waters, you'll be able to sample other Day Ticket waters around. But remember, whether you fish club waters, or day ticket waters, you MUST have a licence to fish. You probably know anyway, but these are issued by the Environment Agency and are avilable from the Post Office. Fines for fishing without a licence are high, don't risk it!

Frequently, you will have to pay the club more to fish nights. I don't agree with this, as it can seem like a ploy to disuade certain types of angler from joinig the club concerned. That being said, my own club in Maidstone operates this rule and I pay up!

A lot of clubs these days, have lists of members who are "Angling Coaches". these anglers have been on a course to qualify them as a coach. There are two organisations who offer the courses and the qualifications. The first is the Proffesional Anglers Association (PAA), the other is the National Federation of Anglers (NFA). The charges for the courses are usually very small indeed and you WILL learn.

I'd reccomend anyone new to angling to get in contact with one of these coaches and have an afternoons coaching. Especially as you say, you have only really done waggler fishing. There is a massive world of angling pleasure out there for you to enjoy, should you choose! (I'm not linked with any coaching schemes in any way, so I'm not just touting for buisness!)

As far as which club to choose, there are some fantastic waters in your area and actually quite a lot more clubs around. Have a look around, most clubs don't mind you going and having a gander at some of their waters, you could arrange to meet a bailiff, who'll give you a bit of advice at the same time. Ask in local tackle shops.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

You are a very lucky angler.

You have several of the best rivers in the country at your doorstep.

Hampshire Avon and Stour for starters!!!!!!

There is a club in the area called Ringwood AC

which has some great waters.

Also worth joining (probabley the best) is Christchurch angling club.

I would suggest when you move to the area to visit all of the local tackle shops and to ask them. They should be able to give you all of the local clubs details.

In Suffolk/Norfolk we are very lucky.

A certain Mr John Wilson has a book called "The definitive guide to fishing in Norfolk/Suffolk"

It lists all most of the day ticket waters and clubs in the region. It is quite mind blowing to how many there are and not all are listed!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Why July? The season opens on June 16th.

Paul