What planet does this women live on

JackPike

I hate even fishing next to these unruly mobs. I want to relax beside the seaside with a scotch egg and a flask of tea. I dont want to be elbow to elbow with "Team Diawa". Well said.

[ 10. February 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Sythor ]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canals were built, mainly in the 18th century, as an essential transport network. The fact that they were waterways (and hence capable of holding fish) was incidental... water was the most effective mode of transport at that time.

Today, with our roads network clogged beyond capacity and a woeful public transport system, I applaud anybody who uses the canal towpaths for transport, whether for commuting or pleasure. They should certainly not be obstructed by foul-mouthed fat oafs on seat boxes.

There is nothing in angling that looks quite so ridiculous as lines of grown men dressed in brightly-coloured outdoor clothing, as far as the eye can see, wielding hugely-expensive poles in order to catch immature fish that an eight-year-old wouldn't bother to put in his jam jar.

There are custom-built holes in the ground for that ilk, overstocked with stupid small carp.

Female cyclists should be able to cycle in peace without being confronted by such genetic mutants as canal match anglers.

Fenboy

Nah, it's team match fishing I find depressing. Big blokes in bright clothing fishing ten yards apart as far as the eye can see... carrying vast amounts of expensive equipment... and seen to catch mainly very small fish.

And because of the nature of the way they fish, they are the anglers the general public is most likely to encounter.

And if "banter" - ie foul-mouthed ribaldry shouted from peg to peg - is evident, which it usually is, it is offensive to residents whose homes adjoin these venues... not to mention female cyclists, walkers, etc.

Of course it gives angling a bad name. And that's why I get a bit hot under the collar.

I think it was Bernard Venables who, when writing of match fishing, said rather sniffily that he fished against fish, not against men.

All these years on, I broadly agree.

Fenboy

Not only is the swearing anti-social but in these days of increased sharing of the tow-path, openly urinating at the peg is not unknown. The late Frank Barlow, some match angler's hero and actually a nice bloke, was famed for landing a fish with his pole whilst having a pee! Seemed funny at the time but it literally opened the flood gates!

I would like to see a lower size limit on fish weighed in, like on sea matches. Let the poor little beggers breed once before becoming match fodder.

Once went down a match length with my fish finder on. At 11 meters from the bank the screen was black with small fish. At 12 meters there were some nice lumps!

• 4 years later...

For the most part, I agree with the woman's complaints: "Anglers" often make very bad impressions with rude behaviour, littering, cruel treatment of fish, illegal activities, drunkenness, and in general being "low-class." I see it everywhere around the rivers here.