chub?

stuchef

Hi all havent been on here for a couple of years need some help?

Ive spent far to long fishing matches on commercial waters and need to get back into some natural waters.

just got back from a afternoon/early evening fishing on the avon at christian malford in wiltshire i went down for a bit of free fishing and use up my maggots and worm from a recent match went with the intention of fishing the maggot feeder for chub however it was very weedy so really struggled to get any chub action as they were there when i set up and by the time i snagged up twice i had spooked them all away then my following mistake was i had taken my float box out of my tackle box prior to a previous match so had to just make doo feeder fishing picked up plenty of perch on the worm which was enjoyable and a couple of small chub of 12oz-1lb.

1st question is how would people fish in such weedy conditions?

2nd what bait? I cant afford to be forking out for 6 pints of maggots everytime i want to go for a little bit of a pleasure fish so i was thinking bread but i could really do with some knowledge on how i would go about doing this.

Also this is apparently a well known barbel stretch which according to the bailiff are not there at the min however ive never caught a wild barbel and it has allways been a ambition of mine so any tips and advice on this such as what time of year would it be good for me to start fishing for them and what baits again any awnsers on any of these questions would be highly appreciated or even if some1 on here fishes this stretch and would allow me to come watch them for a session

yours sincerly

stu

tight lines

1. Surface lures.

2. Floating bread.

3. Wait 'till winter.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi

Christian Malford is a very hard stretch especially in summer, and weed is a problem. However when you park on the roadside go upstream to the last peg, here you will catch chub and even barbel, and even tench!!It has a bit of flow when the river is low. However I would say CM is not the best venue, for chub and barbel. Have a look at Chippenham AC waters and especially Peckingell on the same ticket.

If you fish with boilies /pellets and if eels are not a problem use meat. Use a few handfulls of hemp and small pellets to get them grubbing around and pre-occupied When they are feeding that's the time to introduce your bait...BE PATIENT, and feed a few swims at a time, working upstream. The BA a wonderful Chub river and the barbel ain't bad either

Also..

For a free bit on the B. Avon Chippenham town downstream for a few miles can be excellent.

......And (particualrly in small to medium rivers) creep about. Whenever seeking chub, drop below the skyline as you approach, don't wade (unless it's the only way of reaching a spot you cant reach any other way) until you've tried the margins and the deeper bits at close range you can't see into, don't talk or even pull against the ratchet of your reel, nor screw in your bankstick, bang anything or drop your bag. A chub close to the edge or in shallow water is a hungry chub and therefore easier to catch. A spooked chub is very hard to catch as it isn't there.DSCF4081.jpg

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

........so i was thinking bread but i could really do with some knowledge on how i would go about doing this.

If you do decide to ledger with bread all you need to know is here;

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...with-bread.html

I followed the advice in the article and gave it a try, it is a very effective method and cheap too. Just remember to plan in advance, the bread needs to spend a few days drying out before the mash works properly.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If you do decide to ledger with bread all you need to know is here;

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...with-bread.html

I followed the advice in the article and gave it a try, it is a very effective method and cheap too. Just remember to plan in advance, the bread needs to spend a few days drying out before the mash works properly.

this looks brill cheers to all for the advice dont know bout venturing up to chippenham as ive got this stretch on my ticket and want to crack it as its just down the road ideal for the odd evening for a few hours.

Im a chef so i can get bread in abundance at all diffrent stages plus i can put it in the hot cupboard to dry it out to help me cheers again all

tight lines

I've found that by far the most important aspect of location when it comes to chub, is flow.

Many people - and I used to be one of them - see a raft or an overhanging willow, and assume there must be chub under it. But if the flow is not to their liking, they will be elsewhere.

In the summer they will want faster water than in the winter (which is when I do my chub fishing), but when you find the chub note carefully the current speed and the speed of surrounding and nearby water, as it will really help you find the chub in other areas.

Next most important is depth. In winter they like a good average or deeper than average depth; in summer they do like shallow water where they can sunbathe, but they like deeper water - a pool, a depression, a deeper section - nearby so they have somewhere to bolt to if they are disturbed.

Finally, cover. Chub do love a roof over their heads, but only if the first two categories are right also. A perfect looking raft will almost certainly be fishless unless the flow and depth are right too. Fishing water with the right flow and depth will catch you far more chub than fishing under every overhanging tree...

As Rusty says, bread takes some beating for chub. And as Arbocop says, they are spooky as hell until you've got them feeding and relaxed, at which point they turn into greedy sods that are desperate to be caught! The longer you can feed chub before fishing for them, the easier they are to catch, the more you are likely to catch.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

this looks brill cheers to all for the advice dont know bout venturing up to chippenham as ive got this stretch on my ticket and want to crack it as its just down the road ideal for the odd evening for a few hours.

Im a chef so i can get bread in abundance at all diffrent stages plus i can put it in the hot cupboard to dry it out to help me cheers again all

If you want to make mashed bread, its best if the bread is stale not just dry. In fact it doesn't need to be dry at all, but for the hook i find it best if it very fresh and IMO better still if it's got Warburtons written on the bag. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

IMO better still if it's got Warburtons written on the bag. :)

I second that!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."