Gagging for it...

dizidave

Strange title but hey..

Now that Xmas is over, im back in the swing again, ready for some serious fishing and eagerly anticipating this summers club fishing.

But i want to go now! (stamps feet in child like paddy).

But obviously the fishing isnt great at the minute.

I really fancy giving it a crack on our local river, which i have a couple of times of the past few weeks with limited success. Ive usually produced half a dozen or so decent roach in about 4 hours. Not great but its something.

What i always fancy trying when i go, but never do because of the strange pull that trotting has, is ledgering/feeder fishing.

Would it be ok to gice ledgering a go at this time of year? Which would be best, ledgering or feedering?

i need some persuasion to break the charms of trotting a stick float!!!

What seems to work well for me is ledgering a lump of luncheon meat in a slacker area of water rather than the main flow, especially if flooded.

Don't both loose feeding, just strike your bait off before you recast. Try lumps of different sizes.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Oh just wang out a freeline :D

None of those fiddly weights and feeders.

Just watch the line crawling out of the spool.

Just pva a stone on to go further (the problem is that you cannot be sure it dissolved :D

"Muddlin' along"

quote:

Originally posted by dizidave:

But i want to go now! (stamps feet in child like paddy).

But obviously the fishing isnt great at the minute.

What i always fancy trying when i go, but never do because of the strange pull that trotting has, is ledgering/feeder fishing.

Would it be ok to gice ledgering a go at this time of year? Which would be best, ledgering or feedering?

Dave

Got to say that I totally agree with Apache. In fact I'm about to go chubbing in the hope of bumping into some barbel too.

Ledgering is fine, touch-ledgering is ace in my opinion. That said, where I can, I free-line rolling balls of luncheon meat, especially into the eddies, slacks and creases.

Go for it.

DG

DG - good to have you back. Have your ears been burning ?

Anyway - I have never tried rolling meat, though I have tried touch ledgering. With touch ledgering a bite is obvious - but if your bait is trundling thru a swim (a) how do you maintain contact (i.e ensure no obvious slack) and (B) how do you tell a bite from a brief snag that may feel like a bite ?

quote:

Originally posted by JonHedges:

I have never tried rolling meat, though I have tried touch ledgering. With touch ledgering a bite is obvious - but if your bait is trundling thru a swim (a) how do you maintain contact (i.e ensure no obvious slack) and (B) how do you tell a bite from a brief snag that may feel like a bite ?

JH

Use a centre-pin reel for starters. But the honest answer to your question how do you tell a bite from a brief snag that may feel like a bite is with difficulty, with the help of a bit of experience and luck .. you have to strike at everything .. better to be safe and not to miss .. even the odd snag or two

DG

[ 16. January 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]