You southerners don't know how lucky you are

phil dean

After spending the whole of January and most of February without catching a fish, I jumped at the chance to go piking with a friend down in Hobhole, near Boston.

On Saturday morning we got up and went to the local tackleshop for bits, asking where we might go for an hour in the morning before setting out on our piking adventure. We were advised to fish the fen behind Commet. On Arriving I saw a fen for the first time, I dispared, it looked like the dullest most boring bit of open sewer I could imagine, and was less than 2' deep. Wondering why I bothered, I set up a whip using some pinkies for bait and cast in.

Within 5 minutes the float dipped and a 4oz roach was on its way in. This carried on for a good hour, before we decided to go home for breakfast. By the end, the bites were coming within seconds of the float hitting the water.

I then went to HobHole for about 12 lunch, set up the whip and fished 3m out, with a dead roach under a float near the opposit bank. The hole looked just as uninviting, but a few doxen roach, perch and 3 pike later I really was wondering whether the people down there really know what it means to struggle for bites on a canal. I've fished harder stocked commercial fisheries.

Yes it looks naff, and the skyline could do with some hills, but the fishing is fantastic.

If anyone who lives down there ever gets bored and wants to have a go up here at scratching for bits in the North East I'll happily do you a swap. Great weekend and great fishing.

[ 24. February 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: phil dean ]

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not having a great deal of joy on the piscatorial front up here so far either...!!

Paul

Hobhole is about 4 - 6 miles from Boston and it's about 20 miles wrong (that may be artistic licence but is does seem to go for ever) I was fishing near the Wellington Pub.

Commett is near the centre of Boston, coming from Sleaford, turn right at the roundabout opposit the BMW garage, this takes you past commett, then park up on some spare land to your left, two drains combine at this point and the fishing was excellent.

Both are free fishing, you just need your rod licence.

Tinca61, that's the problem mate, brought up in Bingley I thought that winter fishing was Blanks punctuated by a few fish.

Mind you, if memory serves me right you live at Silsden, the canal pegs opposit the boatyard there are fantastic when there's ice on the water. I've seen 30lb bags of bream from there in the middle of winter, the only problem was getting in as people seem to turn up a good hour and a half before sun rise to get those pegs.

Always fished the pole with breadpunch and very rarely blanked.

Ah well, back to more of the frozen north for me.

Tight Lines

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Huh! Typical moaning Tyke!!.....

Cummmon Deano within a relativly short drive you have access to some of the best fishing in the country on the Aire Wharfe Nidd Ure and Swale to say nothing of the stillwaters top quality grayling and chub fishing with barbel trout roach and perch to say nothing of the bream.......

And when you are bored with that lot you can always vist God's county .....Lancashire!! :D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Ferret, I do not believe that they are linked waters and I would suggesty that transfering fish would be a criminal offence, and there's no need, if you want livebait, hob hole also contained fish.

Alan......when you wake up on a crisp winters morning an hour's drive to a decent bit of river is not that attractive a prospect when I know that within 3 hours of stepping outside I'll be wanting to come home. (Yes I'm a fair weather fisherman)

Anyway, the point here is that this was free fishing, and not just the odd bit...there's miles of it. And if you do join a club that will set you back the princly sum of £13. Fantastic value, and yet the guys in the shop were whinging about the price, (and no they weren't from Yorkshire ).

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY