UK Rod-caught species list now 104

Vagabond

I think there might be hope, albeit a little bit, of Common/European Sturgeon - Acipenser sturio returning in increased numbers to the Thames Estuary.

There's reports of a fish of 15lb's this last week from Erith on the Thames on rod and line, caught by accident on raw prawn. Targeting them on rod and line in their natural environment in the UK is way out there though.

There's large numbers of European Smelt in the estuaries of East Anglia though. At this time of year there should be quite a few in Breydon Water.

We used to catch quite a few at the neck of Breydon near the Berney Arms whilst Eel and Flounder fishing at the back end of the close season on maggots. This was 20 years back but as there's no netting there now at all I can see no reason why they would'nt still be there.

Historically there used to be a small drift net fishery for them in Breydon.

Better than Breydon would be the Wash. I do a shrimping survey there 5 times a year through the Summer and have done for the last 2 or 3 years. We've often had 50 plus E.Smelt from a 10 minute trawl.

I'd happily supply you with GPS Lats and Longs of where we've had the most Smelt as all our bycatch is measured and recorded.

We go out with the Wash's most experienced active Shrimp skipper and I reckon that he could be persuaded to go out Smelt fishing with rod and line if the shrimping was poor. I'd turn up just to see his face when you asked him!

Have you ever had a Sand Smelt - Atherina presbyter on rod and line Vagabond? I could be of assistance if you hav'nt...

Sorry for the 3 repeat posts below this one. Don't quite know how that happened. Might be a dodgy connection out at sea on the boat I'm currently on. Maybe someone could delete them as it rather spoils the thread???

Edited by dant

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there might be hope, albeit a little bit, of Common/European Sturgeon - Acipenser sturio returning in increased numbers to the Thames Estuary.

There's reports of a fish of 15lb's this last week from Erith on the Thames on rod and line, caught by accident on raw prawn. Targeting them on rod and line in their natural environment in the UK is way out there though.

There's large numbers of European Smelt in the estuaries of East Anglia though. At this time of year there should be quite a few in Breydon Water.

We used to catch quite a few at the neck of Breydon near the Berney Arms whilst Eel and Flounder fishing at the back end of the close season on maggots. This was 20 years back but as there's no netting there now at all I can see no reason why they would'nt still be there.

Better than Breydon would be the Wash. I do a shrimping survey there 5 times a year through the Summer and have done for the last 2 or 3 years. We've often had 50 plus E.Smelt from a 10 minute trawl.

I'd happily supply you with GPS Lats and Longs of where we've had the most Smelt as all our bycatch is measured and recorded.

We go out with the Wash's most experienced active Shrimp skipper and I reckon that he could be persuaded to go out Smelt fishing with rod and line if the shrimping was poor. I'd turn up just to see his face when you asked him!

Have you ever had a Sand Smelt - Atherina presbyter on rod and line Vagabond? I could be of assistance if you hav'nt...

Have you ever had a Sand Smelt - Atherina presbyter on rod and line Vagabond?

Oh yes - very common on the South Coast in summer.

BTW anyone catching sandsmelt in the West country or the Thames estuary, keep an eye out for the Bigscaled Sand Smelt, Atherina boyeri, which has larger but fewer scales (LL44-48 as against 52-57 for A presbyter)

Thanks (x5 !!!) for the gen on Sturgeon and E. smelt. My information was that E smelt had almost disappeared from E Anglia, but perhaps that should have been rephrased as "none caught now because no-one fishes for them"

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Oh yes - very common on the South Coast in summer.

BTW anyone catching sandsmelt in the West country or the Thames estuary, keep an eye out for the Bigscaled Sand Smelt, Atherina boyeri, which has larger but fewer scales (LL44-48 as against 52-57 for A presbyter)

Thanks (x5 !!!) for the gen on Sturgeon and E. smelt. My information was that E smelt had almost disappeared from E Anglia, but perhaps that should have been rephrased as "none caught now because no-one fishes for them"

No probs!

Thought you might of had a Sand Smelt.

We use a skipper for Herring surveys out of Oare, he has his boat (the only one) down infront of the concrete slip on the marsh and bird reserve there, absolute fountain of knowledge 'Bluey' you may know where I mean?

But if you need any mini species ticking off he may be the man to speak to as he knows every little bit of those channels down there. He's worth chatting to regardless and has the fish shop near the pub in Oare.

We got high numbers of those Sand Smelt on our survey tows, a few E.Smelt and several Big Eye Sand Smelt.

Seems plenty of European Smelt left in the wash which is surprising considering the amount of shrimping that still goes on down there. Quite a few mini species too but nothing too exotic. Mind you we did get half a dozen Trigger Fish a mile or so off Wainfleet Sands in the Wash, how they got there I don't know!

Hope this dosn't repeat 3 times....

Once they're established, it's a waste of time and effort trying to control or eradicate alien fish but judging by a recent thread, it's astonishing how many people wouldn't kill a non native fish if they caught one in the wild before they get properly established.

"It's a fish", "I like fish" seems to be as far as some folks are prepared to think.

I agree, but if anyone thinks that top mouth gudgeon are a worthy fish, I'll beat my balls against a splintered larch post!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

That would go viral on YouTube Arbocop! :lol:

You've got my attention now dant, sounds like I should give Breydon a go for some Pike Bait (Smelt, not Eels, they go back!), stock up for winter. Are they seasonal? Any more info would be great if you can. I live in GY so would give me a great opportunity for some 'quicky' sessions.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

That would go viral on YouTube Arbocop! :lol:

You've got my attention now dant, sounds like I should give Breydon a go for some Pike Bait (Smelt, not Eels, they go back!), stock up for winter. Are they seasonal? Any more info would be great if you can. I live in GY so would give me a great opportunity for some 'quicky' sessions.

Renrag

Other than being fairly sure they're in the estuary there in numbers I'm not sure I can help. The Smelt would be resident most of the year with potentially higher concentrations around this time of year for spawning purposes, but having no commercial value not a lot of interest is paid to them so therefore not a lot is known especially about their current spawning locations, habits or habitats.

Other than a small drift net from a boat at slack water I would'nt be too sure on how to get about catching them on rod and line.

Maybe Vagabond himself being a mini species master might be better placed?

The Smelt will feed on Shrimp and various bits and pieces and once over a certain size feed readily on fry and small 'whitebait'. They're actually almost perfect predators in miniature and have quite a formidable set of teeth on them. A 5lb+ Smelt would be some fish!

I guess if my life depended on it I'd probably go for scaled down Hokkais, tiny silver feathers or maybe a long rig of 8 odd hooks baited with slivers of fish skin or something like small sections of sandeel worked slowly back to the shore. A very small spinner might work too?

Edited by dant

I'm usually very open about where and what when it comes to fishin', I would rather share info than be all secret like many seem to be these days, perhaps they ae right and I am naive? I have kept quite descreet about one very significant catch I have had this years, mostly what I catch is fairly ordinary. However you seem a decent and genuine fellow, I shall send you a PM.

Congratultions! thats alot of worldwide species! very very impressive :thumbs: