what would you like to see in a fishing programme?

mark barrett

mark, if you were interested in the lurecam idea (and yes i will be trademarking that term!) i've been doing a lot of work recently with tiny video transmitters that probably could be reduced futher, and would fit, along with a battery and a simple colour camera into a lure maybe the size of a creek chub pikie or similar.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably about to annoy one or two posters, but I've got to admit, that very little bores me more than TV fishing. Aside from Matt and Mick's 'Great Rod Race' and bits of, 'A Passion for Angling' I can't remember many programmes dedicated to angling that I've truly enjoyed. and I stopped watching Discovery a while ago. I honestly don't think Angling translates too well on TV.

I'm much happier watching programmes like 'River Cottage' or, my all time favourite, 'Out of Town', that have a far broader span of a variety of country pursuits. Five minutes of angling slipped into the programme by angling's greatest ever Tv personality Jack Hargreaves, as was the formula for Out Of Town, and it's follow on 'Old Country', was wonderful.

Personally, an entire programme devoted to the subject mostly leaves me cold. I think it's the 'Glimpse of Stocking' phenomenon. A few minutes leaves me wanting that little bit more. Not bored rigid and cringing at great anglers, who aren't neccesarily great TV personalities.

No offence intended. Just my opinion. :)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

i'm with you in general slodger, not having sky i don't get exposed to much TV fishing, but what i've seen hasn't been much cop. i'm sure we can come up with a format to change all that though

jeepster:

jeepster:

having a camera inside a lure would make very exciting viewing, but isn't there the possibility of the camera becoming damaged from pike taking the lure? they can take quite furiously,as i'm sure you all know

course there is, just as there's a chance that the minicam inside the cricket stumps will get damaged, and the camera used the news crews in war zones will.
A few years ago we put a lip-stick camera inside a fluffy lure set to immitate a baby duck. The imfo was transmitted down the line so to speak. It worked and we got a great shot of the take, but it was never used.

woodmouse:

learn from the yanks....are you joking....lets bring back gaffs and T-bars....

Woodmouse, the Yanks have their bad points, as do we Limies, but those guys lead the world in the use of artificials, no doubts about that.

Casting? What casting? 20 yard lob more like. Yes, I'm sure that the cable did effect the retrieve, but, obviously, not adversly as we got a take. No hooks though, not sure that a fight would would have been on. Unfortunately the lady producer didn't like the material, although it was just what she had asked for, so we didn't get paid, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

We'd borrowed the gear from a company doing motor cycle work when it was first realised what could be achieved with such cameras. An interesting challenge, if nothing else.

does sound interesting peter, and the more i think about a self contained wireless unit the more i think theres money in it, imagine making something that salmon would take and sell the video of mr ponsonby smythes first fish to him when he gets back to the fishing lodge!