Mink

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good....! Better late than never...

Paul

GOOD - I've seen more voles this year than I have in, well, ages. Surely no coincidence that there's been a concerted mink cull in the Kennet valley....

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

For over a year now, mink have been a "Notifiable Species". This means that you are legally bound to report them to the EA, if you see them. I've reported them on the Medway twice, once at Barming and once at Teston.

I can't see there being much opposition from Government on this one. It's a shame they can't take a similar line on Cormorants.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

GOOD. Grey squirrels next!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

quote:

For over a year now, mink have been a "Notifiable Species". This means that you are legally bound to report them to the EA, if you see them.

Didn't know that......It seems I've been failing in my duties as citizen and fisherman.

Paul

Me neither - I often see mink. Mind you I can't find any mention of this on the EA website - you'd think they'd have a 'Mink Hotline' or somefink.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

You may not like this. but mink are a very pretty animal and it is not its fault it is in this country in fact it all starts with fur farmers first and the antis second. But please dont get me wrong they do need to be controled but there are too many of them to totaly eradicate them. I am not a mink lover im just an honest hard working wildlife lover and allways will be ALL THE BEST ZAPP

Zap,

I fully agree with you, they are pretty furry little animals and it's not their fault they are now all over the place. But, Bank Voles are pretty furry little animals. Lots of other species which have been affected by a population explosion of Mink, are also attractive and are indigenous (naturally populated, in this country). But Crocodiles and Polar bears are interesting and very attractive to some people, but we wouldn't neccesarily say that we'd want them running around uncontrolled, would we?

Have you ever seen a Pine Martin, or a Stoat? Both of these aniumals are similar to Mink, but are native to this country. Unfortunately, where there is a population of Mink, these animals cannot form colonies successfully.

As far as reporting Mink goes, surely we've all looked at the back of our fishing licences haven't we? We've all then put the Environment Agency hotline number into our mobile phones, haven't we? Well, that's the number I've called to report Mink (0800 80 70 60). On both occasions, I've had EA personal phone back the next day for more details.

Alternatively, the EA website gives phone numbers for your local EA

office at http://www.environment-agency.gov.fish (or try 0845 933 3111). You SHOULD be reporting mink, otherwise the full extent of the problem cannot be calculated.

Also, don't forget your local Wildlife Trust office may be interested in knowing the whereasbouts of Bank Vole colonies (they are in your phone book.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org