washning out boilies your views

dean in devon

is it worth doing?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. washing your boilie, will it help?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

All,

If "washing out" means reducing the amount of flavor or attractant additive recognized by the ANGLER then I am in favor of "washing out" baits.

Philosophically I really do believe with additives in general I believe "less is best". After all, carp specifically, have a single taste/smell capacity 100's if not 1000's times more sensitive than humans.

Dales,

It has not been my experience that "texture" plays much of a role (carp). I've only done a few (several hundred) tank tests looking for some sort of definitive results. No statistically significant differences were ever observed. I could be wrong - JMO since it is very limited.

Phone

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dales,

BTW thousands upon thousands of similar "texture" tests were done to determine the "negative effect" for the presents of a "hook point". Those results were equally random to those for texture. Fortunately for us, at least IMO, --carp don't care.

Some years ago an AN angler disputed this claim. His "test" was popup boilies. One single boilie was freelined. He claimed it was, without exception, the last one taken - always. Soon thereafter I stopped coning to AN with any frequency. Anyone ever see such a "test" or such "results"?

Phone

(probably wrong thread, sorry)

Phone, some interesting points. I fully admit I'm not sure whether texture does have any effect to the bait as I have caught on a whole variety of stuff. But with my own fishing I have fallen in to the habit of using very small baits and soft ones while Carp fishing and I get a few. I only ever go down the hard/tuff bait route when I expect a problem with crays/small fish or need to cast a long way.

I am not really sure as to whether "washed out baits" are better, I know some people have very good results with them but would they also have good results with out them. Just focusing on the bait does kind of gloss over all the other things that go in to catching like the skill and experience of the angler in knowing how and where to place a bait.

But if they do give you an edge (Unsure) then I am more interested in why they work, then just the fact that my catch's may go up if I used them.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales,

I can't say with any certainty I am right either. It is impossible to do more than speculate since carp are such unpredictable creatures. Over here, paste is used probably 25:1 over boilies. A few Ex-pats, Europeans and some American converts, use "Euro" methods and they probably only number in the hundreds. For bait making I'm afraid the "average anger" uses the "if a little does a little good - a lot will do a lot of good" approach. Know what I mean?

Actually, the "catch anything" weekend anglers use mostly sweetcorn or softened field corn (maize). Some flavored - some not.

Among genuine carp anglers our problem is finding specimen fish in catchable concentrations. For every specimen there are literally 100,000's of tiddlers. The tiddlers are a real problem in many places since only a few, very few anglers practice catch and keep for the pot anymore. With our limited numbers of specimen fish - disrespectful destruction is a real problem.

Phone

FYI - Just Phone - a specimen in NA is 30 lbs.

Edit" Ha ha! Ohh yeah, over here, execpt those with Euro carp gear, a "long cast" is 25 yards.

Edited by Phone

Is the attraction of washed out bolies, if indeed they have one just down to the fact they are likely to be soft?

Do Carp prefer to eat soft baits at times? Just questioning the idea of washed out baits appearing safe as they may be in the water for a while due to loosing some colour and flavour etc. Just a thought is it simply because they soften up a lot while soaking that they appeal to Carp. Can they digest a soft bait more easy then a hard one or do they just have a preference for soft baits. There are many times when soft pellets will out fish a hard one.

Do you think a Carp not that bothered about feeding may just be tempted to pick up a soft bait because one slurp to the back of the mouth and its mashed up and swallowed, but if using a bullet hard boilie it would involve some crushing and frankly they just can't be asked with all the effort today. So would a "washed out boilie" (soft bait) help you pick up an extra bite from fish that are not really on the feed?

If true, its only a theory :D and only based on a little bit of experience of in general thinking soft boilies are a better option. It would raise a few points.

1, Rather then spend time washing out your boilies could you not just fish with a soft freezer bait or soft shelf life bait and save your self the effort?

2, Why air dry your freezer baits to bullets, when maybe they are better soft (Ignoring they keep better on a session)

3, Why not feed soft boilies, but fish a bullet. Get them eating the nice soft baits and by the time they realise your hook bait is a naff hard one they are already hooked.

It's harder to get a softer bait then paste and even when super flavoured and brightly coloured it does not put many fish off.

that is why i make some paste from the base mix or order that paste from the boile order,so i can make a soft or hard boilies or just cover it .i allways take paste