Barry C

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry C,

In my "UK glossary" here is a "bent hook rig":

Attach 1 inch rubber band to the shank of a size 16 carp hook. Fold equal sides of the rubber band around the hook shank to form a loop on either side. Insert one loop through the other loop. Continue pulling to tighten the rubber band against the hook to form a rubber loop to hold carp bait suspended from the hook.

Phone

We do not use the term in the US.

Barry C,

We use a lot of "bent hooks" in the US. If they (your venue) don't mean a "bent hook RIG" then ask again. Maybe hooks where the point is offset from spine? I'll not speculate as there are just a lot of possibilities.

Phone

I remember from some discussions here years ago when I asked (had never heard the term) that it was a loosely defined description for a hook where the point aimed at or below the hook eye ("below" being further down the shaft) so that the top photo from ayjay would be a bent hook. Not sure even what it would be used for but possibly for making a jig with the eye slanted forward or some strange rigging of a rubber worm or ???

The lower two photos are hooks designed to be embedded in a jig mould so that the eye is available along with part of the hook point and based on their design, likely don't class as bent hooks so you could fish with one if you were so inclined.

I suspect a circle hook would fall within the definition of "bent hook" which seems silly.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think its purpose is to garner a more secure hookhold and reduce the chances of the hook being thrown? I'm not sure however. Unfortunately it could also damage a soft-mouthed fishes mouth on extraction, by careless anglers and also, by those that 'bully' a fish in, resulting in a catastrophic tear-out.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Newt,

Ha ha, here we are talking about carp hooks in the UK. What would you consider a Carolina rig hook. You know long shanked and straight where the worm is attached then bent twice so the hook is more exposed?

ayjay,

Why would those hooks be banned? I admit, probably not a very good carp hook but why might they be banned? Fish safety - can't see how? You would look "goofy" using one. Maybe they are trying to clean up the image around the lake so it at least looks like everyone knows what they are doing.

Phone

Yes, an altered hook, ie: not as sold. I can't see ayjays' pic as on work PC so I'm guessing as to the image representing a dramatic 'bend', angling the point towards the eye at about 45 degrees to the shanks intended course.

I know they have some similarities to circle hooks but an altered/bent hook is designed to penetrate in such a way as to make 'throwing' as difficult as possible, not to encourage scissor hooking over deephooking, although that may well be an unintended side effect. Another problem is fatigue to the hook, leaving the possibility of the 'round' of the hook, being embedded in a fishes lip after failing at the aftermarket crease.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Seems then that the term bent hook can mean all things to all anglers.

Lets hope if the bailiff checks he is on the same wavelength as me.

As for any altered hook, that would of course include a straightened out curved shank hook.