A fisherman returns to the sport...

Sulis

Hello to all :)

Well, it had to happen before too long. After some 12 years away from fishing, my interest has been rekindled once more. It certainly helped moving to an area with some good fishing, especially a river that flows pretty much right around the town where I live! I can't believe I was stupid enough to sacrifice my beloved early mornings at a gravel pit for... well... erm... I can't remember why I stopped going! Shame on me.

So, my question. What have I missed?! Any major developments? I know it's a vague question, and i'm already reading as much as I can to refresh the memory. I see adverts for 'egg shot', no idea what that is. A variation on normal shot? I wandered into my local tackle shop at the weekend and was amazed by the explosion in tackle, particularly feeder/ledger rigs. Have things really changed that much?

One important question to finish off with. Anyone know of a reference point for new feeder/ledger rigs I can look at? My local fishery notes that some are banned, and i'd hate to be thrown off the lake for negligence.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who wishes to respond.

Welcome, welcome, thrice welcome, Sulis (Senex) to the Forum of Elton Caesar, Maximus Piscator ..... and welcome too back to fishing, Sunny!

I know foxtrot alpha about your question but loads of other members will

This was just to say welcome :)

Geezerus Diamondus Frigeratum :cool:

[ 11. August 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

hi sulis, The best place to try is your local tackle shop. Its difficult to explain everything over a keyboard without showing you the feeders etc. however in the interests of fish safety and you not being thrown off commercials around the land, i suggest that you stick to free running rigs.

cheers,

rich.

p.s has d.g been sniffing something? :D

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Welcome back

There have been many changes to course fishing.

Are you using your old landing / keepnets?

If you are they are probably illegal.

There have been changes in NRA bye laws.

Have you got a licence?

Max fine is now 2000.00 plus tackle confiscated.

Egg shot, egg shaped shot as opposed to normal round shot. Manufacturer claims it gives better bite indication? (When you get a bite on the float the fish only feels the resistance the tip gives while being pulled through the surface film).

Ledger rigs - inline rig, fixed, semi-fixed, running, paternoster, method feeder, cage feeder bla bla bla...

There are three types of ledger rig, running, semi-fixed and fixed.

Most waters ban fixed rigs and most anglers do not use them. These are rigs where the lead/feeder is somehow fixed to the line (includes : paternoster rig and method feeder with elastic) and if your mainline breaks the fish will be tethered with the rig (drags it about).

Semi fixed ledger rigs are basically bolt rigs where if the mainline breaks the lead/feeder can free itsself.

There are loads of saftey clips on the market but you must follow the instructions (includes : inline method/blockend/maggot feeders, inline leads and safty clip rigs).

Running ledgers are rigs where the lead/feeder run up and down the line freely.

These are the safest rigs to use as the lead always comes free if the line snaps.

Ask the baliff at the water what rigs can be used and ask your tackle shop about them as it will be them who sell you the tackle you need.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Wow, thank you all for the great welcome :)

Thanks to all for the advice as well. I'm heading off to some local fishing spots to chat to anglers and find out more about what's changed. Seems like i'll definitely have to ditch the landing net (it's seen better days already).

Best wishes :)

Sulis - glad to have you posting. Lots of folks on here with a wide range of knowledge.

Good advice about general things already. If you find yourself with a specific question or 10 and need good answers, post away.

UK angling can certainly get complicated these days. Or maybe it always was. Glad it is so much simpler where I live though. Not sure I'd ever get the hang of fishing the way you folks do.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

RUDD:

Max fine is now 2000.00 plus tackle confiscated.

Confiscation of tackle is illegal, Rudd. Please cite (at least) one example of when this has occurred, and I will gladly take up the issue with the EA.

Sulis - drop me an email with your address and I will send you a free information pack which should prove useful to you.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'