First trot of the season

Guest tigger

Guest tigger

Well after reading Richards thread I thought I'd have a little go on the small river down the road. First trot I missed a bite and then missed several more until I hooked something small and it come off ! I hooked a couple more and the same thing happend. I couldn't see anything wrong with the hook(16's super spade) at all but I took it off and re-tied a larger version (14's super spade). First trot with that and the fish was hooked and stayed on as it should. Anyway I finished up catching small dace, perch and plenty Chub up to just over 2lb. I took a few pic's and then the camera conked out. The reason I have took the pic's the way I have is because I was at the bottom of a steep bank and up to my knees in water. Check out the strange creature stuck to one of the perches head, I don't know what it was but I pulled it off and squashed it. The perch were only tiddlers but they fought their rocks off and were a lovely colour.

23junedougWEB.jpg

23junefish5WEB.jpg

23junefish6WEB.jpg

23junefish2WEB.jpg

23junefish3WEB.jpg

23junefish5WEB-1.jpg

To me fishing small streams is what it's all about for me, sure i have liked my carp and tench fishing on lakes but river fishing is what it is all about for me. that sure looks like a nice little bit of water.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

To me fishing small streams is what it's all about for me, sure i have liked my carp and tench fishing on lakes but river fishing is what it is all about for me. that sure looks like a nice little bit of water.

I agree, I love fishing small streams and there are some surprisingly big fish in some of them (eg. Roach up to around 2lb, Chub up to around 5lb , Barbel up to around 7lb etc.) not record breakers but some quality fish nonetheless, and you can sometimes have the stream to yourself on some of them.

Yes I too love fishing for Tench, Crucians etc. in stillwaters but the small streams and the upper levels of rivers where it is almost a stream are the most enjoyable in my view.

Lovely catch Tigger :)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Some good small stream fishing there.

The creature stuck to the perch is well out of focus, but even so is recognizable as a fish leech Piscicola geometra The "geometra" refers to the greeny-grey rings on it - did you notice those?

You find them on wild trout too.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest tigger

Well I had another quick sesh on the river earlier tonight and had a very enjoyable time catching lots of chub up to 2lb and Perch up to 1lb and just the one roach. One of the Perch was just over 1lb and the roach in the picc was about 10 ounce, I can't believe how small they look in the pic's, never mind. The fish in this river are the best fighting fish I've ever caught. It's the only place I've fished were the roach leap like trout when your playing them. Here's a few pic's for anyone interested. :D

24junefishreelinWEB.jpg

24junefish1WEB.jpg

24junefish2WEB.jpg

24junefish3WEB.jpg

24junefishperchWEB.jpg

24junefishperch1JPGWEB.jpg

Guest tigger
Some good small stream fishing there.

The creature stuck to the perch is well out of focus, but even so is recognizable as a fish leech Piscicola geometra The "geometra" refers to the greeny-grey rings on it - did you notice those?

You find them on wild trout too.

Yeah I know it's out of focus Dave but my camera really is crap but for taking on fishing trips it'll have to do. I did see the ring/markings on the leachy critter. It was wierd as the point it was stuck to the Perch's head and the way it went stiff it looked like a horn growing out of the fishes head. I guessed it was a species of leach to be honest but squashed it anyway i'm not a lover of parasites. :D

Budgie going off all the feedback about the AN pin you won't be dissapointed when you get it. I wish we had chalk streams up here like your southern ones I love the clarity of their water, even the little one running past Wingham looked brilliant. Eventually I'll get to fish one.........I hope at least :mellow:

Edited by tigger

I know it's out of focus Dave but my camera really is crap

I wasn't meaning to criticise your photography, but to emphasise how very characteristic the shape was (as you say, sticking out like a horn on the head) so that even out of focus it is still recognisable.

An interesting point is that I have only ever seen this leech in clean water (all my Wealden streams have them) I can't remember ever having seen them in murky waters. Does anyone know any differently? I have always regarded them as a biological indicator species of clean water

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest tigger
I have always regarded them as a biological indicator species of clean water

That would be good if it is a sign of clean water. I'll ask one of my m8's who does all the tests n stuff for the water board and see what he says.