Sea Anglers Take a Stand

Bob Shotter

Phone

I would say that to be a doing anything “commercial” you would first have to be registered to be commercial. I would say (and I believe that there are commercial fishermen who use angling techniques to catch there fish) to Be able to sell that fish for commercial gain they would have to be registered fishermen.

Flapper.

If I set out on my kayak and set a couple of portable shellfish creels am I using "commercial" techniques?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi deene, O very good points and I can certainly see where you’re coming from. With the limited resources that the authorities have to collect this data, what sort of percentage do you think they would bee looking for in the first place to make this a credible survey? Let’s say (for an example) we have a target of 1000000 anglers who are eligible to answer questions in this survey. Ok let’s say that the authority’s realistic figure would be 10% of that number. 10% of the eligible number refuses to take part. 10% of the eligible number signs the petition. I think that it’s going to be very difficult to try and use numbers when one of the first questions I would imagine would be to find out how many recreational sea anglers there are. For instance if you get a petition of 100000 names saying they are against change for sea anglers from an estimated 1000000 anglers the government are going to say that 100000 are against but 900000 didn’t sign so therefore we can only suggest that they where in favour. If you have accountability then surely you can use those accountable numbers in your favour when trying to fight any changes to our hobby.?

I whish you well deene I honestly do and I admire your stance on what you believe in. I am only trying to look at things from a realistic point of view.

all the best Flapper.

Thanks for that Flapper just a couple of points if I may. It will depend on the numbers of those that sign as to how we use the figures if at all, you can do so much with numbers as I’m sure you are aware. We already have a plus that I had not even considered when launching the petition and that is that this petition is actually working to boost those that know about and are indeed joining RSA-UK.

You then comment on the ‘limited resources’ to collect the data, well there is a cool million quid being put up to fund this, some of which will come from the EU and the data collection framework so plenty enough money but even were every angler who is asked to cooperate which they won’t the data collection will prove what exactly, a result based on percentages? Some science that is and very reliable, yeah right!!!!

All,

I have to ask what will be a stupid question. Never-the-less are "anglers" in the context sporting anglers using charters and personal craft or are "anglers" commercial operators harvesting fish?

Phone

Hi Phone All charter boats are registered as in they fly the flag and as such can be regulated by the CFP regulations, there are plans to bring all private boats into a compulsory registration system thus they too will then be flying the flag and under EU CFP regs.

Looks like anglers want to stay unaccountable for what they collectively catch and stand aloof of any conservation measures, problem is the powers to be know that they cant implement the marine bill and mpa's and ntz's without including all stakeholders and that includes sea anglers, either way anglers will get bag limits or no take zones depending how cooperative anglers are over supplying information regarding catch returns, after all, it is part of good fisheries management practise, and in any event the EU have asked for it, welcome to the world of European and national brueaucracy, you have now touched down, welcome to the club lol lol lol

Hi Steve and I’m glad you find it funny that we are in line to become regulated and about to give up yet another basic freedom. As for wanting to stay ‘unaccountable’ as you put it can you explain why we are, where we are at this time? Are you suggesting that RSAs have put such an effort on the stock that these regulations are necessary or could it be down to dare I say it the commercial fishing effort and the failed CFP.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Thanks, guys,

So, in the context of this discussion it is really only the "pleasure" kayak anglers who would or could be rebellious. The charter captian would or could answer for the boat and his customers (and probably already has to in some fashion). It just seems to me the imput from the "skilled experts" on the charter boats might be meaningful in some way although I don't know what that might be.

Jaffa in his kayak cannot possibly be a huge influance or very knowledgable. That is a question.

Phone

If I set out on my kayak and set a couple of portable shellfish creels am I using "commercial" techniques?

I would say no. you would only bee seen as commercial if you wanted to sell what you caught. There is nothing to stop any body going out to see with say a long line and catching say ten boxes of (sized) cod. If he is not selling his fish he is looked upon as a hobby fishermen who is not doing what he does for commercial gain. Your two creels are not looked upon as commercial method until the person using them uses them for commercial gain. I think.

Flapper.

Ps of course you could have a local by-law that stipulates how many creels you can work and how much shell fish you can take home. These sort of by-laws are aimed at hobby fishermen and not commercial fishermen again I think.

I would say no. you would only bee seen as commercial if you wanted to sell what you caught. There is nothing to stop any body going out to see with say a long line and catching say ten boxes of (sized) cod. If he is not selling his fish he is looked upon as a hobby fishermen who is not doing what he does for commercial gain. Your two creels are not looked upon as commercial method until the person using them uses them for commercial gain. I think.

Flapper.

Ps of course you could have a local by-law that stipulates how many creels you can work and how much shell fish you can take home. These sort of by-laws are aimed at hobby fishermen and not commercial fishermen again I think.

Suppose I go out using my pitiful paddle power and catch a box of cod, get bored and its extreme low tide, so head back in and rack around some low tide lobster hot-spots, then split the spoils between friends and family? Am i commercial or hobby?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa,

Did your hypothetical friends and family give you a beer in exchange? In the US you can give your legal limit of fish away but must not fish again that day. Commercial fishing refers to the harvesting of fish, either in whole or in part, for sale, barter or trade.

Phone

Jaffa,

Did your hypothetical friends and family give you a beer in exchange? In the US you can give your legal limit of fish away but must not fish again that day. Commercial fishing refers to the harvesting of fish, either in whole or in part, for sale, barter or trade.

Phone

As in the UK.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Suppose I go out using my pitiful paddle power and catch a box of cod, get bored and its extreme low tide, so head back in and rack around some low tide lobster hot-spots, then split the spoils between friends and family? Am i commercial or hobby?

i would sayHobby but would have to abide (if any) to your local by-laws on shellfish.

Flapper.

Jaffa.

Just FYI, I was quoting my state's fishing license. In other states as soon as you give away even one fish you must stop fishing for that day. My license does not distinguish "when" you must stop, just that you must stop fishing. Guess I could look at the regulations(?). Also, at least in Florida I know, not only are there rules about shellfish, there are rules about fishshells.

Phone

Jaffa.

Just FYI, I was quoting my state's fishing license. In other states as soon as you give away even one fish you must stop fishing for that day. My license does not distinguish "when" you must stop, just that you must stop fishing. Guess I could look at the regulations(?). Also, at least in Florida I know, not only are there rules about shellfish, there are rules about fishshells.

Phone

Yuck and people want this for the UK

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg