Ultralite Lure Fishing Outfit.

Paul_D

Can anyone recommend a good balanced complete outfit for fishing light lures i.e. an actual Rod, Reel and Line? I've got a couple of outfits but seem to struggle with casting light lures any meaningful distance and I want to have a go at Chub on lures big time this season.

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that 'Tinca61' is no more and I've come up with something equally as unimaginative. :D

Paul

5 ft ron thompson spin rod , costs under £20. Quantum do a tiny wee reel for about £30 with 2 spools. 8 - 15 lb braid depending on species , etc , plus trace if pike present. Will cast a size 0 mepps or mini rapala a decent chuck.

Oh gosh thats sooooo sad. I hope the passing of Tinca was painless and that his family have come to terms with his loss. May he rest in peace, by some silvern stream, his favourite tackle in his hand :D .

I go with Kreid on this one. The Ron Thompson range, especially the Gladiator U/L really is the doggies dangly bits!

Another excellent rod is the lightest of the Daiwa Samurai rods. Can't fault the Quantum but I personally use an ABU Cardinal 652 with either rod.

Cheers for that Fellas, I'll look into these options. I like the fact that I won't be shelling out too much...... :D

Paul

Cracking site that DG...many thanks. I've printed off that article and had a quick read, as you say it's an excellent article. I notice that the Samurai range was mentioned again, I'll have to look into these rods and compare them with the Ron Thompson's. BTW is that 'our own' Peter Waller that Chas writes about?

Paul

Thanks Chas for the acolade! I think it dates back to an article that I had published in the now defunct Pike Fisherman magazine. Also had a bit on U/L in Pikelines. Somewhere out there in the ether I have an article on U/L but heavens knows where it is.

Looking back at it there was probably nothing of any quality in there but the timing, quite unwittingly, was right. Fireline had just hit the market and commercially available U/L rods were beginning to appear, people were beginning to show an interest. A well known and long time ultra-light enthusiast called John Worzencraft was also hard at it and was quick to endorse what I had said. I don't know what has happened to John but for many years he wrote in various mags and was, and possibly still is, the U.K.'s number one U/L angler. John was adament, rightly so, that the extreme line class U/L fishing from America had no place in the U.K. In its place John coined the phrase 'Finesse' rather than U/L. A twenty pound pike on two pound line is quite possible but a twenty pound pike on 15 pound braid is a tad more reasonable. Essentially the tackle, rod and reel, is accepted U/L but the line is not. Line thickness might match but not the breaking strain. The Samurai is hardly extreme U/L either, but it is a sensible rod for 'finesse' piking. Another rod, slighty more beefy than the Samurai, that's well worth looking at is the Shimanno Diaflash EX 210ML. Not U/L but designed to cast lures from 5 to 20 gms. This, like Chas, I couple with the smallest Severan CD reel for a perfect outfit for Finesse piking. Hardly a budget outfit though! Depending on where you buy them between £150 and £200 the pair.

The Suvaren (sp?) is a reel that has long been on my wish list, perhaps now I might 'bite the bullet' What would be the line of choice with any of the suggested outfits? I've been using 15lb Whiplash up to now which I do like a lot but the rods I've got, a Gord Burton Hellraiser and a Daiwa WF98 spin, coupled with small Baitrunners just seem too OTT for light lures.

Paul