Ultralite Lure Fishing Outfit.

Paul_D

I do a fair amount of u/l lure fishing and my wife does almost nothing else.

I have tried lots of lines and IMO you cannot do better than 10lb PowerPro. It matches up well with most any reel.

And speaking of reels, the Mitchell 308X is a nice one.

I used that specific pair yesterday with a 4'6" rod and a lure that is similar in design to a mepps. 1/8 oz I think. Caught a nice variety of fish and had a truly wonderful time. I can easily cast lures to 3/8 oz (and often do when it is very windy) but can do fine with them down to 1/16 oz if the weather is calm.

I have the same reel/line on a very, very limber 8'6" rod and can go down as low as 1/32 oz with it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D:

The Suvaren (sp?) is a reel that has long been on my wish list, perhaps now I might 'bite the bullet' What would be the line of choice with any of the suggested outfits? I've been using 15lb Whiplash up to now which I do like a lot but the rods I've got, a Gord Burton Hellraiser and a Daiwa WF98 spin, coupled with small Baitrunners just seem too OTT for light lures.

The Abu Suverän fixed-spool reel is nice, but it's not cheap and not that lightweight, even the S2000M model. Check-out prices here

DG

[ 12. June 2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

PW - Thanks for the link to your article. Another good read with some good pointers. I look forward to many hours wandering up the Aire and Wharfe with minimalist tackle after work this Summer.

DG - Thanks, too, for the link. It is a tad expensive but just looks the dogs dangley bits doesn't it? I've not seen one 'in the flesh' but looking around a tackle shop yesterday I was very suprised at the apparent quality of some very reasonably priced small reels. Okuma, Mitchell and Maver in particular. Haven't found one of the rods mentioned so I might have to go on 'trust' and buy mail order.

Paul

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Paul_D:

DG - Thanks, too, for the link. It is a tad expensive but just looks the dogs dangley bits doesn't it? I've not seen one 'in the flesh' but looking around a tackle shop yesterday I was very suprised at the apparent quality of some very reasonably priced small reels. Okuma, Mitchell and Maver in particular. Haven't found one of the rods mentioned so I might have to go on 'trust' and buy mail order.
</font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There's a review of the Suveran, CD6 and CD4 here so maybe you should consider a CD 6 or 4 .. cheaper and almost as good as the Suveran.

As for the rods, they shouldn't be too hard to find, even though it is a tad niche market. I'll see if I can find one for you if I get a mo

DG

You're a top bloke DG - I'd never heard of the CD4 and looks the biz plus the dosh saved over it's big brother pays for the rod too! The Credit Card will be brandished later on today! Cheers again.

Paul

Reelcd-4.jpg

Abu CD Mid Drag Reels

Built using the experience and technical knowledge of the Suveran, the crowning glory of this new fishing reel is the centre drag with a braking surface four times larger than normal spinning reels. Better heat dispersion that gives you a more efficient braking system that works smoothly and touble free even when set to maximum resistance. For those that want the best for fishing!

There's a CD4 2000 at £55 here (CD4 2000) but check-out the weight before you buy to make sure you get a nicely balanced set-up. Check what weight (of reel) does/would give you a balanced set-up first (with your Samurai steal-of-a-rod @ £55) .. you sound to have plenty of ingenuity to work-out how to do this i.e. pick your rod first, then pick the correct weight of reel to balance (Steve B won't agree with any of this but ... :rolleyes: !)

DG :cool:

[ 12. June 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]