Ultralite Lure Fishing Outfit.

Paul_D

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

Hi Richard, bit formal but there we go!

Yes, you must be missing something. I have just picked up every blessed lure rod that I have, both fixed spool AND multiplier set-ups. With the exception of single handed 'pistol grip' types every one, except one, is balanced as your diagram. The only exception is an ABU Equaliser that is perfectly balanced at the reel. So no arguement with your diagram. Like the others I hold a fixed spool around its stem. The majority of my rods have a handle that almosr reaches my elbow so the weight whilst retrieving is evenly spaced along my arm. As for the turning movement of a top mounted multipier, thats what the trigger grip is for! Bearing in mind that I sometimes lure fish for upwards of six hours a day, once developed R.S.I. in my left arm and now use my right to cast UK rather that US style, I am well aware of weight and balance in my outfits! I have to say that I find the Equaliser an excellent outfit to hold and retrieve with, but marginly more tiring to cast with. I don't think there is a definative answer though, it's what you prefer. It appears that the norm is that the designed centre of balance is a few inches forward of where one would normally hold the rod whilst fishing.

Thanks for that too, Peter.

I have to say that (either) you really know how to set-up your rods 'n' reels (and I'm sure you do) and/or you're very lucky, if, purely by chance, every set-up you have including multiplier set-ups balance at Point A as per my diag. Long handled fixed-spool set-ups are one thing though, and multipliers 'n' baitcasters are another.

I have to say though that your experience and expertise shows through here because in my experience, you're in the minority with all your set-ups balanced. Have you ever tried swopping rods with fellow lure-anglers on the bank? I have, and I soon see why they run out of steam after 3 or 4 hours fishing.

At least I'm clear now what you do: you buy a rod 'n' rod combination that balances at Point A ... and then you fish with it, holding it at Point B

R

[ 19. June 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Peter says this has been a good debate with plenty of food for thought. I was just going to just go ahead and buy a reel by mail order but will wait for delivery of my Samurai-S first and wander it down to some dealers.

Cheers.

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D:

As Peter says this has been a good debate with plenty of food for thought. I was just going to just go ahead and buy a reel by mail order but will wait for delivery of my Samurai-S first and wander it down to some dealers.

Cheers.

And, like Peter, I'm just about to check the balance of all my FS and multiplier reel/rod combos ............ watch this thread

DG

Newt, re handle length, I've been refering to what I would more mormally use for Northerns. My lighter set-ups are probably the same as yours in that the handle comes about halfway along my fore-arm, or atleast is long enough to take the weight off my wrist and onto my arm whilst playing a fish.

Richard, that all my lure rods have their centre of balance in the same place is not down to luck, just coincidence. I wouldn't buy a rod that didn't feel right, and, coincidently, that seems to mean that the reel seat and centre of balence will be pretty much in the same place on any rod that I feel comfortable with. Mind you, it wasn't until I tried them all yesterday that that similarity surfaced!

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

Hi Richard, I have just picked up every blessed lure rod that I have, both fixed spool AND multiplier set-ups. With the exception of single handed 'pistol grip' types every one, except one, is balanced as your diagram. The only exception is an ABU Equaliser that is perfectly balanced at the reel. So no argument with your diagram. Like the others I hold a fixed spool around its stem. The majority of my rods have a handle that almost reaches my elbow so the weight whilst retrieving is evenly spaced along my arm. As for the turning movement of a top mounted multipier, thats what the trigger grip is for! Bearing in mind that I sometimes lure fish for upwards of six hours a day, once developed R.S.I. in my left arm and now use my right to cast UK rather that US style, I am well aware of weight and balance in my outfits! I have to say that I find the Equaliser an excellent outfit to hold and retrieve with, but marginly more tiring to cast with. I don't think there is a definitive answer though, it's what you prefer. It appears that the norm is that the designed centre of balance is a few inches forward of where one would normally hold the rod whilst fishing.

Peter,

I have just done the same. I tend to hold my fixed-spool set-ups with 1 finger behind the reel-stem and the rest in front.

My Diaflash came-out a clear winner for balance and comfort. A close second is the Daiwa Samurai-S.

After them came my Abu rods including the Suveran, Salar and Crossfire

Last-equal of my fixed-spool set-up rods were my Drennan Spinflex and an old Silstar lure rod. Therefore which ever way you look at things and however long the deabte goes on, I still maintain that the Drennan Spinflex is not a good buy compared with the Daiwa Samurai-S

I also swopped reels around, and found that the Suveran 2000M is a tad heavy for most balancing acts.

All my 3 multiplier set-ups came last in the balance and comfort stakes! Obviously, as you say, the longer the handle, or rather the more of it that there is behind the reel seat, the easier is the balance ... and that could start another debate about short-handled vs long-handled lure-rods

Anyway, bearing in mind Paul D's original question, there's no doubt that he'll be delighted with the Samurai rod (especially for that sort of money .. I wish!) and he should then balance it up as per my diag (agreed?!) with a reel of the correct weight when fully loaded with line, of course

Richard

BTW, Steve B who triggered the debate about the Spinflex, seems to have gone AWOL from this thread now :rolleyes:

[ 20. June 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Just catching up on replies on the Forum after a couple of days working/fishing. I'll post some comments shortly, but not tonight - I'm too tired.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Given the cost of rod & reels and the extra comfort you get from using one that "feels" right, it might be worth the $7 for a kit to balance most any rod that is too tip heavy for you. Take a look Here

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Richard, I agree, the Samurai is a better balanced rod that the Spinflex. However, there is more to a good rod than static balance. Take the rod, beautifully balanced, and then dangle a lure on the end, what happens? That almost mythical point of balance is moved up the rod. Pop on a a really hard working spinner-bait, start the retrieve and the point of balance go up to the spigot! Hook into a thirty and the point of balance is twenty yards down the line!! Me, I always thought, and I almost hate to say it, that Charlie Bettell's book was a good read. That is until you come to the chapter on rod balance, and then I reckon its a load of old doggies by-products!

It isn't just balance that makes a good rod, its feel. Quite coincidently all mine that feel right have a point of balance an inch or so above the reel seat! I had a pair of Daiwa Dictators, beautifully balanced, according to the book, but to my mind they never felt 'right', I rated them as 'real old dogs' and was glad to see a happy carpy chappy buy them off me.

Yes, we agree where a reel should be held!

The Diamond Geezer:

So, are we agreed that the hands-off fulcrum/balance point is ideally at Point A ?

And then, am I to understand that then, with such a set-up, you (and Newt) then hold it at Point B ? :confused:

I'm dog-tired this morning so may not be able to appreciate what you're getting at. On my rods the fulcrum is roughly at the top of the handle as I prefer a very short foregrip so that my forefinger can touch the blank. I then hold the rod/reel at point B as previously mentioned.

Newt, as you say we seem to use longer handles on our rods than you do. However, even on double-handed rods I much prefer shortish hanles, about 20" long. This applies to float rods as well as lure rods.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The Samurai-S has arrived :) . It's a dainty little thing isn't it? I'm not too sure about the reel seat but will have to see what it's like when I try it out in 'anger'. Next problem is choosing a reel for it. Cheers.

Paul