Beginners guide to Zander

terry t shirt

Having never targetted them before and it being a good few years since i actively targetted any preds. I thought i might ask some tips of you guys.

At the moment my intention is this

3 rods 2lb test curve ( drennan tench/bream rods )

11lb mono

snap tackle 30lb trace wire.

My thoughts at the moment are to float fish one rod live/dead roach

and to ledger 2 dead baits. one far bank one near

i'm also going to grounbait an area just to one side of each of the ledgered baits.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rods and line are fine but I would try and get as fine a wire as possible.Also as you sat the two shelves are a good bet but bait wise I would suggest you will be better using two lives and one dead as lives really are the way to go. As you are trying for your first Zed rather than just a big one then scale down your bait and hook size so you get less dropped runs/missed takes from schoolies.

Biggest problem new zedders have is understanding that they feed differently to pike and as such miss a lot of takes. When A Zed takes a prey it usually grabs it,puncturing it with its front "Dracula" teeth the prey is then released,this is the "dropped" run many complain about.Shortly after the prey is picked up again and taken in to swallow. Take this in to account and you will turn a lot more takes into fish in the net. As such keep your rigs as free running as possible and resistance free.Definitely use an open bail arm rather than a baitrunner!

Zeds often come in without any resistance until they are right under the rod top then they start kicking off! soft rods come in handy here.Resist the urge to see their eyes light up in the dark as well! This sets them off as well! (best explain that I suppose! As they are a nocturnal predator they have good night vision this is provided by the "tapetum lucidum" which is a part of the eye but makes the eyes reflect light a bit like a cats.Shine a torch/headlight down into the water at night and you can see their eyes several feet down)

I very rarely retain Zeds but they are better in a keep net than a sack if you feel the need to.

Deep hooking is very rarely a problem to the same extent it is with pike but the same techniques work despite being tricky due to not so much room to work.

Rig wise my favourite Zed rigs are shown in the Rig Section" on the AN main page, Another good one is the CD rig for lives I'm sure many will be shown with a quick Google but if not just ask.

Once again sorry I cant be there.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Rods and line are fine but I would try and get as fine a wire as possible.Also as you sat the two shelves are a good bet but bait wise I would suggest you will be better using two lives and one dead as lives really are the way to go. As you are trying for your first Zed rather than just a big one then scale down your bait and hook size so you get less dropped runs/missed takes from schoolies.

Biggest problem new zedders have is understanding that they feed differently to pike and as such miss a lot of takes. When A Zed takes a prey it usually grabs it,puncturing it with its front "Dracula" teeth the prey is then released,this is the "dropped" run many complain about.Shortly after the prey is picked up again and taken in to swallow. Take this in to account and you will turn a lot more takes into fish in the net. As such keep your rigs as free running as possible and resistance free.Definitely use an open bail arm rather than a baitrunner!

Zeds often come in without any resistance until they are right under the rod top then they start kicking off! soft rods come in handy here.Resist the urge to see their eyes light up in the dark as well! This sets them off as well! (best explain that I suppose! As they are a nocturnal predator they have good night vision this is provided by the "tapetum lucidum" which is a part of the eye but makes the eyes reflect light a bit like a cats.Shine a torch/headlight down into the water at night and you can see their eyes several feet down)

I very rarely retain Zeds but they are better in a keep net than a sack if you feel the need to.

Deep hooking is very rarely a problem to the same extent it is with pike but the same techniques work despite being tricky due to not so much room to work.

Rig wise my favourite Zed rigs are shown in the Rig Section" on the AN main page, Another good one is the CD rig for lives I'm sure many will be shown with a quick Google but if not just ask.

Once again sorry I cant be there.

Budgie by CD rig do you mean Colin Dyson ?? for the unsure lot myself included .

Going back to a spot in a few weekends time on the lower Thames and going to try livebaits and jigging as a un scientific comparison ,very deep on this bit is the CD rig best bet or under a small float?? livebait wise .

Cats at the bottom end of this section but very few and far bitween otherwise would have been tempted to up tackle size but not sure i would get it in the boat should i be fortunate/lucky enough to connect and land esp as unlike the ebro some big gin palace is likely to run me over in the process Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Diagram of the CD rig on this link.

http://www.zandavan.co.uk/anencounterwithage.html

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

The KLAA have a number of predator rigs on there website.

http://www.klaa.co.uk/specimen/predators/ledger-deadbait-rig

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Terry, below is my favoured rig for fishing lives close in or near snags and weed beds and the one I am likely to use at the weekend for fishing baits on the near margin.

I prefer a roving bait during the day when I can watch it but come night if fishing lives I don't want them wondering about.

http://pikeonline.co.uk/rigs/bait-fishing-...-for-stillwater

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Yes CD= Colin Dyson. Lots of variations of it in the predator world but all ok.Variations are mainly due to it being used for different predator species.

Re your Thames fishing though its very hard to fish and pat rig well from a boat due to keeping the boat stable enough. I do have a simple paternoster rig that can be used for pike from a boat but its not free running so not any good for Zeds. I have no experience of them from a boat but know Anderoo has been doing a bit maybe he can help?

I suppose for live baiting a normal float rig will be fine.

If you want the information on the pat rig for boat fishing for pike just say.

Terry, below is my favoured rig for fishing lives close in or near snags and weed beds and the one I am likely to use at the weekend for fishing baits on the near margin.

I prefer a roving bait during the day when I can watch it but come night if fishing lives I don't want them wondering about.

http://pikeonline.co.uk/rigs/bait-fishing-...-for-stillwater

The "Fixed Sunken Pat Rig" is my all time most productive live bait rig............but for Pike! When used for Zander the resistance is just too much Stephen.Dragging the bomb and rig along just causes them to drop and leave the bait most times.

The "Fixed Sunken Pat Rig" is my all time most productive live bait rig............but for Pike! When used for Zander the resistance is just too much Stephen.Dragging the bomb and rig along just causes them to drop and leave the bait most times.

Thanks for that Budgie,

I think I may still use it during the day for Pike, but free running might be better :doh::D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

The only time I use free running rather than fixed for Pike is if there is a lot of weed/rubbish on the bottom that the link may catch on so causing the Pike to drop the bait.However when I'm Zander fishing when I haven't wound in and catching some sleep during the day I just "pike fish" using the Zed set up as I'm to lazy to swap them over! There is no advantage in swapping to fixed rig in the day for the pike so I simply dont bother.