Avon / Feeder

madmax1975

lutra,

Well, said, at least I understand your comments are genuine.

Was the word "Avon" the registered trademark of some particular manufacturer at one time or another that has now escaped to the public domain? I really really don't know. Does Avon depict a rod or perhaps the style of rod used in a region of the country. (You know, like this is the style used by early anglers on the River Avon or something equally catchy).

Phone

Yes I'm led to believe (I'm not that old) they originated as all round float rods from Hampshire's River Avon.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Avon Rod

Feeder rod

Can some one explain the difference please?

Now I have shown yet again some peoples attitude on this forum. Yet other than Lutra’s partial response your question. Your question has not yet been answered even vaguely, so now I will answer properly and I believe correctly. Although some may disagree and some others can do nothing more than pass flippant comment when they should really be reading the read the question properly.

About forty or fifty years ago the Avon rod was becoming more known, widespread, popular and certainly more easily obtainable it had a progressive through action, meaning that the power of the rod gradually came into play as you need it depending on the size of fish, the water flow, snags (weeds) and the strength and ability of the fish. However because of this progressive action it could still be used quite efficiently for general fishing at first by those who were fishing medium or heavier paced waters, this then gradually expanded to include slow waters and lakes when the possibility of a good fish had to be considered. Having a test curve of between 1lb and 1.25lb it was considered the standard issue for Barbel, Tench, Bream, Chub and even small Carp and is essentially a pure float rod, designed for larger and harder flowing waters than a general float rod. Which is in itself a step up from the match rods which were generally virtually a tip action rod, match rods first really came into being and were popularised with the ABU MkV All England match tip a very fast striking tip action rod, that would have been the 1965 or 1966 world championships. The Avon rod term really became popular in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s after both the rod and some excellent and dedicated anglers many of whom were fishing the Avon at that time, although I suspect many other anglers had similarly designed rods for use on our better flowing rivers. Personally I am loathe to call a rod with a test curve greater than 1.25lb an Avon rod. Perhaps I am too old fashioned and too dedicated to the old skills of angling.

A feeder rod to follow its current and popular description is a rod possibly based on the original Avon rod action and the heavier and earlier leger rods. However it usually has a far slower and stiffer action than a true Avon rod, relying on the usually attached quiver tip to give it much if any sensitivity and prevent bump offs, they are designed to pump or throw a medium feeder loaded with bait a reasonable distance. I say medium because of the increased size and weight of some feeders and one must not overlook the range of progressively heavy feeder rods used in Carp fishing that now abound in fishing tackle and never forgetting Spods. Depending on both the anglers style and the prevailing conditions and other tackle, line, rod rings and set up.

My general rule of thumb is to slot feeder rods in the middle between Avon rods and Carp rods. True a true Avon rod can throw a lightweight leger or a small feeder but it is more suited to a lightweight rolling leger or a float and was grabbed with the lighter test curve by many a Chub, Tench and Bream angler. The Avon was a very popular choice at one time of those who wanted to do some light touch legering or needed a rod with a bit more strength than a standard general purpose float rod.

Forty years on and in many area’s fishing has become coarser, cruder, lacking in finesse and generally heavier with more and more anglers looking at 1.75lb test curve and often beyond, which are used to winch or power out the fish caught. Which to me is not really angling as I learned it. Nor have I personally noticed the average anglers catches have increased or are increasing in individual fish weights enough to warrant the increase in test curve, except on well stocked commercials.

True not all anglers are like this but the ones who are not following the general trend are becoming fewer and fewer.

Split hairs with that definition and answer if you like…hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Yes a statement or reference that the average angler will see when they look at rod with remarkable frequency, therefore a common term in angling which one will come across and can quickly mentally recognise and understand. Something which you will no doubt come across as your knowledge and understanding of common terms used in European angling increases.

However rather a better action on your part would have been to assist or answer the angler who originally posted this thread. A far more useful action, until your knowledge of European terms is expanded.

Well said Toady

My hero

John

wata,

Very English, but alas, I understand your explaination (not sure if that's good or bad). You're saying the differences are dominated by tradition and hair spliting excellence in touch and preferrences? (With the newest, latest, greatest carp rods being obnoxious bull whips)

One thing, - - - and I don't mean to be rude here either - - - in generally accepted angling rod parlayance a "fast action" is a very stiff tip - - - a "slow" action is a very limber tip.

There are traditionalist rod "crackerjacks" in the US who even change rods for temperature varations. I'm afraid I'm not one of them. In fact, you'll be chgrined to know I use Zebco 33 reels and Ugly Stik rods of various lengths. I am however, an expert on both "blanking and catching fish".

What I do admire most about English anglers is their dedication to "proper". I kinda like that part, especially as I grow older. Not sure whether it's worth becoming a tart over though.

Phone

Now I have shown yet again some peoples attitude on this forum. Yet other than Lutra’s partial response your question. Your question has not yet been answered even vaguely, so now I will answer properly and I believe correctly. Although some may disagree and some others can do nothing more than pass flippant comment when they should really be reading the read the question properly.

About forty or fifty years ago the Avon rod was becoming more known, widespread, popular and certainly more easily obtainable it had a progressive through action, meaning that the power of the rod gradually came into play as you need it depending on the size of fish, the water flow, snags (weeds) and the strength and ability of the fish. However because of this progressive action it could still be used quite efficiently for general fishing at first by those who were fishing medium or heavier paced waters, this then gradually expanded to include slow waters and lakes when the possibility of a good fish had to be considered. Having a test curve of between 1lb and 1.25lb it was considered the standard issue for Barbel, Tench, Bream, Chub and even small Carp and is essentially a pure float rod, designed for larger and harder flowing waters than a general float rod. Which is in itself a step up from the match rods which were generally virtually a tip action rod, match rods first really came into being and were popularised with the ABU MkV All England match tip a very fast striking tip action rod, that would have been the 1965 or 1966 world championships. The Avon rod term really became popular in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s after both the rod and some excellent and dedicated anglers many of whom were fishing the Avon at that time, although I suspect many other anglers had similarly designed rods for use on our better flowing rivers. Personally I am loathe to call a rod with a test curve greater than 1.25lb an Avon rod. Perhaps I am too old fashioned and too dedicated to the old skills of angling.

A feeder rod to follow its current and popular description is a rod possibly based on the original Avon rod action and the heavier and earlier leger rods. However it usually has a far slower and stiffer action than a true Avon rod, relying on the usually attached quiver tip to give it much if any sensitivity and prevent bump offs, they are designed to pump or throw a medium feeder loaded with bait a reasonable distance. I say medium because of the increased size and weight of some feeders and one must not overlook the range of progressively heavy feeder rods used in Carp fishing that now abound in fishing tackle and never forgetting Spods. Depending on both the anglers style and the prevailing conditions and other tackle, line, rod rings and set up.

My general rule of thumb is to slot feeder rods in the middle between Avon rods and Carp rods. True a true Avon rod can throw a lightweight leger or a small feeder but it is more suited to a lightweight rolling leger or a float and was grabbed with the lighter test curve by many a Chub, Tench and Bream angler. The Avon was a very popular choice at one time of those who wanted to do some light touch legering or needed a rod with a bit more strength than a standard general purpose float rod.

Forty years on and in many area’s fishing has become coarser, cruder, lacking in finesse and generally heavier with more and more anglers looking at 1.75lb test curve and often beyond, which are used to winch or power out the fish caught. Which to me is not really angling as I learned it. Nor have I personally noticed the average anglers catches have increased or are increasing in individual fish weights enough to warrant the increase in test curve, except on well stocked commercials.

True not all anglers are like this but the ones who are not following the general trend are becoming fewer and fewer.

Split hairs with that definition and answer if you like…hehehe

tbh I'm not sure why the origins of an old cane Avon rod really come into this thread. Is that what we are supposed to be comparing a more modern feeder rod with? I didn't think so.

If its on a power rating thing i wouldn't have my feeder rod collection in between Avon rods and carp rods. some of my heavier feeder rods maybe as powerful as an Avon rod (1-1.25tc), but a lot/most of them aren't that powerful.

Edited by lutra

and there's me thinking it'd be an easy one like......One's longer / longer / more / less sensitive. .... Jeees!

:D Thanks all.... I'll read through the responses once or twice more, just gonna get a Gin & Tonic to try and help digest them.

There's more to fishing than catching fish

tbh I'm not sure why the origins of an old cane Avon rod really come into this thread. Is that what we are supposed to be comparing a more modern feeder rod with? I didn't think so.

If its on a power rating thing i wouldn't have my feeder rod collection in between Avon rods and carp rods. some of my heavier feeder rods maybe as powerful as an Avon rod (1-1.25tc), but a lot/most of them aren't that powerful.

I am with you on this.

I have half a dozen feeder rods, from an old sigma wand to a heavy duty Browning. The heaviest tip has a 4oz TC

I have a few "Avon" style rods around 1 to 1.25 Lb TC and what they seem to have in common is a slightly short average length when compared to a standard float or match rod and a more through action. Quiver tip rods have a "tippier" action (there is a clue in the name ;))

My avon rods will cast a heavier feeder than my feeder rods, should I wish to.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I am with you on this.

I have half a dozen feeder rods, from an old sigma wand to a heavy duty Browning. The heaviest tip has a 4oz TC

I have a few "Avon" style rods around 1 to 1.25 Lb TC and what they seem to have in common is a slightly short average length when compared to a standard float or match rod and a more through action. Quiver tip rods have a "tippier" action (there is a clue in the name ;))

My avon rods will cast a heavier feeder than my feeder rods, should I wish to.

I think your post points out what some of the difficulties are in comparing the power or ability of different kinds of rods Dave.

Avon rods tend to be measured in TC, Feeder/tip/ quiver tip rods tend to be measured in casting weight (yet we measure the tips for tip rods in TC, but that nothing to do with the power of the rod blank) and other rods just get given a line rating.

Even though i would rate the power of my heavier tip rods as similar to an Avon rod (1-1.25lb TC), my heavier tip rod with their "tippier" action will cast a feeder further. But given the choice when playing a good fish, I would sooner have hold of my Avon rod with its more through action.

Edited by lutra

lutra,

Some years ago I was trying to get my pea brain around this "tc" concept in rod building. Talked to one of the Harrison boys on your side of the pond and appearently "tc" is not as well defined and "clear cut" as it would seem to be.

"Peasant" tests using the steps out of the "book" certainly do not agree with a published "tc" on the rod (1 in 12). Rarely did I find a rod with a "tc" that was it's "marketed tc". Only tested a dozen or so and admittedly my methods were crude using a vice and dead weights.

Phone

Edit: The most common reason related was that progressive rods have become "substantially equal" to a certain test curve. UK anglers understand that(??). BTW this "off the cuff" comment was not from Harrison who I greatly admire as a manufacturer of rods.

Edited by Phone