Struggling with the Cast

madmax1975

Hi all,

any tips welcome.

I'm fine when casting out a feeder or ledger, cos its got a bit of weight to it. Soon as I try casting out with a float I just can't seem to shift it more than 10 yards from the blummin bank! So frustrating :angry:

For the life of me I can't understand it , as I'm doing nothing different to when casting with my feeder.

There's more to fishing than catching fish

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

madmax,

Welll you are not making either cast correctly for some reason. The weight is just compensating for the error (reasonably serious at that). It could well be equipment. Tell us more. The obvious first couple questions are what sort of line; what is the spool size on your reel (I'm assuming you are using a spinning reel).

I only freeline, I use a cheap spincast reel and a cheap six and a half foot rod and even I can cast more than 10 yards.

Now, if you don't get it sorted you can do the following: add a golf ball size method ball that breaks down on impact with the water. If you wish to be more elegant use ice cubes with a whole in the center (most convience store ice is made this way in the US). Use a snap swivel and add a couple cubes to the mainline before casting for added weight.

Phone

Edit: That isn't clear. Inline on your mainline should be a snap swivel so you can slide the ice cubes up the main line. Ask if you don't understand.

Edited by Phone

the diameter of your line can really impair casting a float. what are you fishing for on the float and what type of line is it (breaking strain, diameter) for roach, rudd, perch i have 2lb-4lb greys g-tech line on my spare spool and 10lb maxima on my other if i fancy going for some bigger fish like carp and tench (with a lighter hook length for tench)

also the shorter your rod is the less distance you can cast a small waggler (i thin k i recall saying you got a spinning rod ? a 12-13ft rod for float fishing is preffered). And the shorter the length from your float to your hook the further it will cast. Try moving more of the weight under your float.

also experiment at which point you release your finger from the line on the cast, obviously the sooner you release it the less distance it will go as it will be going upward rather than outward. and releasing it too late will see it slam in to the water beneath your feet but the fact your getting 10 yards suggests to me you dont have a problem with releasing too early or too late.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

The most common mistakes when failing to cast distance with light tackle would probably be:

The spool on the reel isn't properly loaded.

The mainline is to heavy.

The release point is wrong when you're casting.

The other thing to remember is that you're not really loading the rod against the weight of the float in the same way that you would with a lead or feeder (there isn't one) so you are largely using the inertia inherent in the tip to load the rest of the rod when you cast. The upshot of all that is that the cast is much more of a flick than a lob.

The most common mistakes when failing to cast distance with light tackle would probably be:

The spool on the reel isn't properly loaded.

The mainline is to heavy.

The release point is wrong when you're casting.

The other thing to remember is that you're not really loading the rod against the weight of the float in the same way that you would with a lead or feeder (there isn't one) so you are largely using the inertia inherent in the tip to load the rest of the rod when you cast. The upshot of all that is that the cast is much more of a flick than a lob.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Well today I tried both rods. 11ft Float , and 12 ft feeder rod. Ended up fishing under the tips really, caught a load of Perch which was good.

Both rods are with spinner reels, both spooled with 6lb mono, size 18 hook.

I think it might just be a case of practice. There's a rezzy nearby that I might go spend a few hours purely to practice casting out.

madmax,

Well the line isn't to heavy and I don't know much about 12 ft rods. If you have to you might try going to a pendulum cast.

But something is wrong for sure. You should be able to cast a marshmallow 20 yards without a float.

Phone

Is the line all in little curls when it hits the water?

madmax,

Well the line isn't to heavy and I don't know much about 12 ft rods. If you have to you might try going to a pendulum cast.

But something is wrong for sure. You should be able to cast a marshmallow 20 yards without a float.

Phone

Is the line all in little curls when it hits the water?

No , the line coming out seems straight enough. Just a thought............ how much distance hsould be between float and rod tip? any different to feeder to tip? would that effect my cast?

madmax,

The Pendulum Cast is the most powerful of all the casting methods used primairly by beach casters. It requires pretty wide open spaces. Before you try to learn it I'd listen to some of the AN Euro gear guys to see if it isn't something else. Only a few yards is for sure angler error to SOME degree. I just can't tell to what degree.

BUDGIES question is a good starting point.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Now I think 6lb line is too heavy for light float fishing also youve not answered the most important question does your spool look like A or B-

spools.jpg

Fully loaded with line looks like "A"