How does yours bend?

terryk

Just read the thread on quiver rods, and was wondering what the different 'actions' are in relation to rods, eg: through, fast, etc. Would some rods have a specific 'action', and how does it affect the rods performance? Also, does the length or test curve of a rod have any bearing on its action? Sorry, lots of questions but at 42 i'm still learning.

Terry

we're all still learning.

actions dont affect performance as such, its a matter of taste more than anything, fast action is (i think) what some people might call 'tippy' ie bending from the tip. avon rods are (again 'i think') traditionally through action, ie bending all the way throuhg the rod. length and TC have no bearing, as far as i know!

basically - through action - progressive curve from tip to butt. fast action tip bends for playing fish but stiffer down the blank, more power for casting.

test curve tells you the theoretical weight to bend the rod 90 degs from straight so independent of action.

therefore if you are doing a lot of long chucking and require more distance + accuracy you'll need a fast action rod, but more prone to hook pulls, i.e. you have a less progressive spring to absorb the fishes lunges. and vice versa.

Length and test curve can have quite a marked effect in relation to each other, for instance a rod of 11 foot with a test curve of 1lb will feel very different to a rod of the same t/c but 13 foot long.(It's all about levers).