Fish or poultry bred maggots?

Peter Waller

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth can I determine what the maggot has been fed on? Mine all come in a rather cheesey cornflour.

Peter's depth of knowledge on fishing, in all its glory, never ceases to amaze me.

I know I could taste the maggots!!

I shall ponder some more

Ta

"Muddlin' along"

Yes, using what you described. You won't get much more than a decent handful however - best to use as hookbait with bought maggots as feed. For commercial volumes however fish or chicken (ex battery farm normally) are normally used.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

monkeyboy:

ps is there any way i can prodice my own maggots?????????

A poor sense of smell is a distinct advantage if you're going to produce your own maggots.

Get a McFarlanes (no relation) biscuit tin and make a hole in the lid about a half inch across. Now line the tin with a half inch of sawdust. Ask your local butcher (good for sawdust too by the way) for some offal and place a good handful in the tin. Leave the tin outside..out of direct sunlight but in a warm place and make sure it doesnt get wet. Give it a few days and riddle the contents. Maggots galore.Spray the maggots with household ammonia (just for the sake of hygiene and handling) and then cover again with fresh sawdust. Put them in the fridge and they should last about a fortnight.

P.A.A.S.gif

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

My mate produces maggots at home for hook baits.....he uses chicken breast..... gets quite a few and they are very large...the local name for these blow fly type maggots is "gozzers"......anybody heard that one?.....it really does smell though and I could not bring myself to do it....his catching rate given the same tactics and tackle is generally much higher than most

It takes longer for the river to get to the sea than it does for a man to make an error.

Silly me the answer was obvious... very sorry but someone has to be the idiot.

What happens if you buy the "normal" maggots and then feed em on your choice of bait. ie take a handful of maggots and sling them in the macfarlane tin etc?

I really am fascinated

"Muddlin' along"