Painting quivertips

Anderoo

Earlier in the year I bought a second-hand rod, which I am planning to use for the winter chub fishing. I'm very pleased with it, it should have the right combination of very fine tip to show delicate bites, and plenty of power to stop big fish finding snags under my feet. (It's actually a barbel rod.)

The only thing I would change about it, is the colour of the push-in quivertips. They are currently black with a red tip, which I've always found hard to watch. What I'd like to do is get them repainted as the same colour as the 'dayglo' white/green colour of the Drennan quivertips, which are brilliant.

The rod is quite rare and I really cannot afford to mess it up. There are no spares available.

How should I go about it?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Anderoo. When I wanted to extend the colour part of my Prodigys I used garbolino float paint and masked it off where I didn't want the paint to go. I then applied the float paint which took a few coats and kept turning the tip as each coat dried to avoid getting high points or blobs. I ended up with a very smooth finish and it looked great. I didnt bother to lacquer it as I wanted to keep the matte finish so that it reflected less glare to make them just as visible in bright light conditions but you can apply lacquer if you want to ensure the paint is protected.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I use Plummers tape. (PTFE) white is very easy to see. When it gets dirty or damaged just wind it off and put some more on. It sticks well to tip and itself. Also there is no chance of making a mess of the tips.

Regards

Rob

I use Plummers tape. (PTFE) white is very easy to see. When it gets dirty or damaged just wind it off and put some more on. It sticks well to tip and itself. Also there is no chance of making a mess of the tips.

Regards

Rob

Exactly what I do Rob.I like at least 12" of the tip to be white.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for the responses so far. The tape is a good idea in theory but these tips are very fine (down to 1oz glass) and I'm sure tape would significantly affect the action, plus be very hard to wrap evenly around something so thin.

I reckon ATS is on the right lines, and taping off bits makes a lot of sense. Is there special paint that's needed?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks for the responses so far. The tape is a good idea in theory but these tips are very fine (down to 1oz glass) and I'm sure tape would significantly affect the action, plus be very hard to wrap evenly around something so thin.

I reckon ATS is on the right lines, and taping off bits makes a lot of sense. Is there special paint that's needed?

I've done it with fine tips. Plummers tape is stretchy and very thin. have a go you'll be surprised how easy it is. You can even do stripes. Just wind it down slightly overlapping. Like you do with a raquet grip. Its very easy to try it cause it takes about 10 seconds to take off. No sticky residue on the tip either. And its cheap.

Regards

Rob

These are the ones I use Anderoo. Clicky. I haven't had any issues with them at all. They are fairly flexible and so I shouldn't have thought they would crack on a smaller tip, they never did on mine and they saw a lot of use fishing for barbel. It may be worth buying some and then testing it out on a thin wire or something to see how much you need to apply to get the colour you want without impeding the performance of a finer tip? I am sure there are other paints out there however if you would rather test a couple out. Nail varnish is also quite flexible so that may be worth a look. The garbolino float paint is quite similar to nail varnish. In hindsight one thing I would have done differently would be to apply a coat of white first as I needed a couple of coats of the colour to stop the black of the carbon showing through (quite a pain when you have to apply each separately and let it dry while turning the tip by hand) .

I've done it with fine tips. Plummers tape is stretchy and very thin. have a go you'll be surprised how easy it is. You can even do stripes. Just wind it down slightly overlapping. Like you do with a raquet grip. Its very easy to try it cause it takes about 10 seconds to take off. No sticky residue on the tip either. And its cheap.

Regards

Rob

It must make the tip less flexible though, as it has something wrapped over it? Also doesn't it get wet and eventually start to peel off?

Thanks for the idea but I think I'd rather get them painted.

Regards

Rob

I did consider that approach but I wanted a more permanent and professional look when I did mine. Also on a rainy day does it not begin to unpeel at all?

EDIT: just seen Anderoos comment :rolleyes:

Edited by AddictedToScopex