Lack of weed in the Severn

Ken L

Nugg:

I would say above Shrewsbury upper, below down to Worcester middle and below that, lower.

by the way we did have some alga problems a few years ago, maybe the resultant treatment of that saw the weed off. I know what you mean, around Bewdley there is not as much.

Nugg thank for that, it concurs with my own views, but I thought others might have different ones.

BTW I'm currently working on something that may interest people regarding this, it should be finished in a day or two. It'll have to go as an article I think, as it's to long to post as a thread.

phil h.

quote:

but surely this phenomenum occurs on rivers where there are no camp-sites etc.?

I have only seen it occur on one other river and that was just the once. This river flows alongside and under a motorway. As we fished the clear water went to be replaced by a brown suspension. The fish went off the feed to. Later the river started to clear and the fish resumed feeding. We put it down to the rubbish etc being washed into the river by rain.

Sorry about posting and then vanishing for better than a week, the phone line's been playnig up and I've not been able to get on the net.

Some intersting replies relating to the unmanned sewage treatment works for caravan sites and small villages in the area. These all seem to flood out raw sewage when it rains or somebody looks at them in a funny way.

I know that these things have done incredible damage to the trout and bullhead populations on a couple of streems that I used to play in as a kid and no doubt they're due a portion of the blaim for reducing the salmon stocks too.

I can't figure a mechanism for these killing the weed though because the extra nurients should promote plant growth unless I'm missing something.

I agree that dam water has been damaging the river's fishing for years. Back when I was match fishing, almost any sudden turn off was blaimed on cold/deoxygenated/acidic water comming from the Vyrnwy but the fact that it's been going on for years would seem to count against it being the cause of the sudden loss of weed.

Maybe the problem is the fact that so much water is being drawn off at weekend that the yoyoing of the water temprature as compensation water goes in is making the enviroment unsuitable for the weed.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I am pleased to say that Shropshire has a salmon run!

Up in the Shrewsbury area the silver tourists are bouncing off the rocks of a weir pool as we speak.

A sure sign that the condition of the water is improving, we havent had a salmon run of this size for a while.