The Palomar Knot.................

Rob Ward

quote:

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

I'd be interested in DG's views on this:

Tight Lines - leon

Thanks for that link, Leon,

Most interesting! Ultima have all the pukka lab testing kit needed so there can be little doubt that their claims for their new knot are valid. Gonna try it myself ASAP, and get my mate to test it in the textile testing lab where he works.

As far as I can see, they don't say whether or (k)not their knot works equally well for braided lines and monos as far as the wet-knot BS is concerned. Hopefully it's as good for both. I wonder if they've compared it with the knot that I use (see above)?

Cheers again Leon

thumbupsmt.gif

DG

[ 28. October 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by jeepster:

i went pike fishing today and i got seriously snagged twice, i was getting cuts in my arms where i was trying to break the line!

Not very clever to use your arm and risk getting cut when pulling to break with cheese-wire braid :rolleyes:

Open the bail-arm (or multiplier free-spool function), put down your rod, wrap the braid 6-times around anything other than your arm e.g. a piece of wood or something .. then pull

Whichever knot you use, braid usually breaks somewhere along the first couple of feet or so, closest to the knot, for the reasons I have already suggested above.

Quote by Jeepster "using 20 lb Spiderwire or whatever it's called, I've lost the packet!" :rolleyes:

Top Tackle Tip

To help you remember which line you're using :rolleyes: write it inside the spool in waterfast felt-tip or on a piece of tape attached to your multiplier .... then you won't have to worry about losing the packet :D

Or do I detect sniffsnifft.gif just the tiniest whiff of a winedup

or a big fib ?!

bigfibbert.gif:P

[ 29. October 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

As much as I like the palomar knot, I have had problems with this knot on several occassions.

It beds down above the eye/swivel etc and wont pull tight with braid. I wonder if this is the problem in that it weakens the braid as its tightened up. I dont get this problem with a grinner knot.

quote:

Originally posted by grumpybum:

As much as I like the palomar knot, I have had problems with this knot on several occassions.

It beds down above the eye/swivel etc and wont pull tight with braid. I wonder if this is the problem in that it weakens the braid as its tightened up. I dont get this problem with a grinner knot.

gb

Do you wet or lube the whole thing really well before you pull the Palomar tight?

There's nowt wrong with a Grinner if the Palomar gives you probs, though

DG

[ 29. October 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

i write the BS on the spool, but the brand doesnt matter so much does it, i think its the spiderwire stealth mentioned earlier, which i bought from wonderful wal mart last time i was in the states, i love it, i'm not really braid savvy, the only one i've used is power pro and i didnt like it but this one seems tip top.

when i tried to break the braid i was wearing several tops and a fleece, but it still nearly sliced my arm off, so point taken!

Spiderwire (brought in the correct size) is great.Spiderwire Fusion and Stealth are not (IMO)

Everyone seems preocupied with BS.The diameters of 20lb braids are far to low for piking.I get fed up with saying it!Oh well carry on having problems with braid Im happy.Dont any of you read US publications? They have been using the stuff for a lot longer than we have.No need to "discover" braid just learn from their experience.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

no, i never read us publications, the cover price in the uk is outrageous! and they have very little of interest to me

why is a low diameter bad for piking?

i prefer to make my own mistakes rather than take for granted what i read in the press, then at least i know why i do or dont like something

jeepster - basically, the abrasion resistance of the braids I'm familiar with is a function of line diameter rather than b/s so even though a 20lb powerpro line will break at or above that point, the abrasion resistance is more like of a mono the same diameter.

Powerpro has better abrasion resistance in my experience than a mono of the same diameter but the 20lb at a diameter of 0.13mm (6lb mono) has no where near as much as a 20lb mono would.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Gusher:

Morning all, just had a look at the Ultima Xtreme knot and would like to try it but looking at the picture I'm not sure what to do after the 8 times up and 3 times down. Any ideas?

ultknot.jpg

Gusher,

You put the tail-end through the eye of the hook (it seems)

ultimaknottail.jpg

Leon,

You will see that the Ultima knot

ultknot.jpg

is very similar, both to the Knotless Knot (no-knot knot),

and the knot that I use

bestknot4braid.jpg

except that the knot that I use and as recommended by Sufix YAO I Fibres,

uses the line doubled-up, rather than a single piece

DG

P.S., Leon: I wonder if Ultima have been using dry[/b[ knots in their tests, rather than wet ones :confused:

[ 29. October 2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]