Pole Elastic.

Slickfish

I bought a Avanti margin control pole/whip, its a 4m long 3 piece take apart pole.

It may be short but seems very heavy duty, my question is what elastic do I put in it???.

I fish a variety of waters but most seem to be the usual commercial pools.

Have read an artile about this pole they recomended putting hollow elastic in it(im guessing that is exactly what it sounds like a tube as apposed solid elastic) I have no idea of its advantages etc.

Any advice guys would be very handy, as I want to get it sorted this weekend.

I bought a Avanti margin control pole/whip, its a 4m long 3 piece take apart pole.

It may be short but seems very heavy duty, my question is what elastic do I put in it???.

I fish a variety of waters but most seem to be the usual commercial pools.

Have read an artile about this pole they recomended putting hollow elastic in it(im guessing that is exactly what it sounds like a tube as apposed solid elastic) I have no idea of its advantages etc.

Any advice guys would be very handy, as I want to get it sorted this weekend.

Seems to say it all-

"Designed for out-and-out margin fish tactics, if you’ve ever struggled with big fish down the edge then the new Avanti GTR Carbon Margin Control Pole is just for you.

The Avanti GTR Carbon Margin Control pole is a rod/pole hybrid that fits together like a conventional rod, but has the added advantage of an elasticated tip section, and incredible strength over traditional margin poles.

That combination delivers impressive power and control over hooked fish and allows any angler to hit, hold, and steer big margin fish to the net very quickly.

It’s a three section set up with tough, spigot joints between the middle, elasticated tip, and extension sections and can be fished as a two section pole at 3m (10ft) long, or with the extension in place at 4.5m (15ft).

At these lengths you’ve got a tool that will drop a rig precisely into the margins close to features, and also fish at the bottom of the near shelf where the big fish tend to patrol later on in the day.

Both the 3m section and the 4.5m extension feature anti-slip, easy grip handle areas which are situated so you can hold the pole with both hands to really pile on the pressure should you need to.

Once you’ve got the fish under control you simply break the pole down to the 3m section to land it, letting the elastic do all the work.

It’s rated to a 20-plus elastic, doesn’t need any cutting back, and you can use normal pole bungs and bushes to rig up this bagging pole"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So its rated to a 20+ elastic.

I was after abit of advice from more experienced pole anglers (than myself) about what they'd advise using.

Its hard to say - these types of poles are designed to subdue big carp from the margins late in a match.

Trouble is the Carp have wised up to that method and heavy elastics cause more trouble than they are worth. It has been found that the heavier the elastic - the harder you pull - the harder the fish pulls!

This is why alot of anglers now use doubled up elastics with pulla bungs - the fish dont seam to fight as hard due to the soft elastic - its hard to explain but true.

To combat the elastic problems and the fact that the carp are getting wary of a pole waving above their heads alot of anglers not just use a 8/9/10 ft method rod with a small method feeder.

I use a solid 18 or a middy hi viz solid 14-16 in my margin pole.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Slickfish,

We don't use poles in the US. Just a bit of math for you to consider however. A carp, probably the most powerful fish you will encounter execpt salmon, can exert 12 - 15 lbs pulling strength. Surprisingly perhaps, in testing carp in the 15 20 lb range are the most powerful. They are naturally bouyant so the 'fish weight' is not a consideration in the water. Allow about 4 or 5 lbs "catch-up" time in your reactions and lifting weight in the water column. That's maximum. Everything else is angler skill. Seems to me, although I don't know pole fishing, the more skillful you consider yourself the lighter you elastic can/could be.

Beyond that, balance for fishing pleasure between the pole and the elastic would be the defining feature.

Phone

I fish a lot in margin swims that are not too snaggy. I use black hydro rated 10-16 and 0.18 line and have landed carp up to mid doubles or maybe bigger.

Takes a while though :D

Rudd has it right, the harder you pull the harder they pull back

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/